Kurzweil's Brave Future

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jun 3, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

NYT: The Future Is Now? Pretty Soon, at Least
    Actually..no! Especially CO2. Inkling of news is that NATURAL methane's a far worse and closer threat.
    Mmmm.. yep. That's about what I've read before, and posted on here. Ten times better Solar panels for half the price, and Ten times better batteries for the same price.
    And nukes.. dont forget the nukes. Actually in that time we'll be using seawater, at least demonstrating it.

uh... so I can be perennially 80? Dont think so. In fact that idea worries me.

Kurzweil's a visionary.. one of the few who's pretty much been bang on, without being an SF writer... but on some things I hope he's wrong. Or at least Asimov's Three Laws are installed double firewall backed up.

wiki Ray Kurzweil
    In the associated discussion of Kurzweil's accuracy, the following points are made.
    You'll note that the biggest slip is in areas where Kurzweil indeed contributed to the science.

But I can make a case for each and every one of his predictions.. all that I see there is either in the lab or easily foreseeable. Certainly the 'body net' and 'unmanned airborne devices' is already in wide use in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    As for the 'autonomous nano-engineered machines have been 'demonstrated' '... think of a nanobotic Roomba