Klinnsmann gets 4 year extension

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by jimsig, Dec 12, 2013.

1. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

According to Soccer By Ives on twitter

@SoccerByIves: Whoa, U.S. Soccer and Jurgen Klinsmann agree to a four-year contract extension, keeping him as USMNT coach through 2018. #USMNT

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

While I think Klinsmann has done a decent job has head coach so far, I think it's very premature to give him an extension as head coach. Plus, after seeing Bruce Arena in the last few years of his position, I would prefer coaches only last one term (unless they won the WC).

3. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

So never, then. :)

Had Kreis done another year with RSL, it would have lined up nicely for him to succeed JK after the World Cup. While I normally agree with the one term idea, I was under the impression that there are more grass roots/developmental issues that we're transforming as well. If that's the case, another term for continuity to affect those changes is probably a good idea.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

For the US, yup, pretty much never. I just don't like the idea of giving him another "4 years" without him having to prove himself in the WC, even though getting out of that group would be a difficult task for anybody. I would just like to see how the US performs at the WC before handing him the keys again. If we get knocked out by far superior opponents and there was nothing we could have done better, than I guess it's ok to give him another go. But if we get knocked because of poor decision making, he gets another 4 years? Doesn't seem right to do it now.

5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I think Jurgen's done a very good job and deserves the extension. The numbers don't lie, and there's no reason to believe that he's not up to the job and the difficult task awaiting us in Brazil. If we get out of that group, it will arguably be the greatest accomplishment in the history of American soccer. He's won me over. I'm a fan.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is silly. We qualified for the world cup, something that if we didn't do it would be an absolute debacle. If he can get this squad to the QF's THEN give him an extension. Instead, we give him something for nothing.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I like the technical director part. Even during his not-so-good beginning year when even myself questioned his ability as a manager, I always thought he would be good as a technical director/GM type person for US Soccer.

But I understand the question marks about giving him a extension as manager now.

8. tim

tim Active Member

Yep, I had pretty much the same reaction as everyone here when I saw the news earlier. It's premature.

But I can also see how US Soccer wants to publicly show their confidence going into what's going to be a very, very daunting year. It's a statement that his job is safe regardless of what happens in Brazil, and it frees him from having to worry about such things. Now he can just go and manage and not have to look over his shoulder.

9. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Good point. I agree with that.