Kicking It For Jason

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by WhitesBhoy, Jun 26, 2009.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I feel for this guy. He has been nothing but a giver in our youth soccer program for 3 + seasons, and he is only 28 years old and has no kids. He was the perfect picture of health prior to this, and would help by being a coach, painting lines, taking down equipment, you name it. He made a point, at the time a week and a half ago when he informed me of his shocking diagnosis, to let me know he can't wait to get back to the kids and be out on the pitch coaching them again. I never thought I would be this close to such a health and medical catastrophe.

Perhaps this is not the forum for this, but in the name of leaving no stone unturned, please read about the young man. If you can help financially, great! If not, maybe just reading about him and knowing a little of what makes him a great human being in some ways helps.

www.kickingitforjason.com

Thank you,
    D. Christian Franek
    President
    US98 Soccer

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks for posting, Christian. I remember how generous everyone was to my musician friend several months back. You'll be surprised how people can be.

3. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

WB, this is the perfect forum for this.
    Thanks for letting us know about this wonderful man.
    My prayers go out to Jason & his family.
    MK

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Re: Kicking It For Jason

Thank you guys. I try to imagine how scary this must be for him, but stop myself because it is just too sad. At this point, any moral support from anyone is probably benificial. Please do not hesitate to post on his blog and let him know you are thinking of, praying for, or supporting him. From what I hear, the emails, blogs, and any other communications really have a positive effect on him and his family at this point.

Thank You FUSA Members and Fans!

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Any updates?

6. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

HEY, thank you for remembering Steve!

Yes, Jason is back home in Santa Rosa Beach, but only temporarily. Docs thought it would be good for him before he has to go back in on August 19th. Two rounds of chemo have exhausted him, with positive results, but no resolution. What an exhausting ordeal this must be.

That said, it just so happens that Soccer Academie INTER98's U-12 Squad (scroll down for a picture of me with the U-10s, www.us98soccer.com), US98 Soccer's academy/club team (of which Jason is a coach), is playing two other teams this Saturday. So we have invited him to join us on the sideline for as long as he is comfortable. Don't know if he will make it, but we certainly hope so. Perhaps it will help him a little, and it will definitely inspire us even more!

Keep up with what's going on with Coach Jason here: http://www.kickingitforjason.com/jasonsstory.html

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Glad to bump the thread Christian, I saw it and wanted to know.

Also the first link doesn't work, can you post it again?

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Christian, I donated back in June, and received a very personal thank you card that was worth far more than I gave.

We need more guys like him coaching our kids. I sincerely hope he can make it to the game this Saturday and enjoy himself. He is in my thoughts. Thanks for the update.

BTW those U10 uniforms are awesome

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Thanks Mo!

The red & white stripes with blue socks are the "away kit". I have updated the site to show the black & blue stripe with red socks "home kit" as well.

We are pretty proud of our kits and everyone involved, especially our kids and their warrior coach, Jason. We are keeping our fingers crossed that he can make it!

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I also got a thank-you note -- the sign of a true gentleman. Just the sort of lad to be teaching our young folks.

12. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Yes, he is making it a point to personally thank everyone who is helping him.

He and his family set up a meeting here at a local restaurant for the Thursday before our match, where he wants everyone to come by say he can say "thank you" in person, before he heads back to the Mayo Clinic on August 19th.

He is a very good young man!

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

An unfortunate update. Here is the email I sent out to 400 local families yesterday:

"I just found out that Soccer Academie INTER98 & US98 Soccer Coach, Great SoWal Community Volunteer, Fantastic Friend, and Dear Son and Brother Jason Thompson has passed away this morning at age 29, after a year long struggle with a very rare form of cancer. His dedication to working with our local youth has affected those young lives, and our lives as well, both positively and constructively. We can all learn lessons from this young man's extremely unselfish commitment to being helpful and of service. It was truly in his nature to be giving, and he in turn gave us a living, breathing window which we could look through and see the more desirable characteristics of humanity.

He will not be forgotten, and both US98 Soccer and Soccer Academie INTER98 will dedicate their current seasons in his honour. A memorial service is being planned for Santa Rosa Beach. More information to come.

For anyone interested, we will be kicking the ball around at Helen McCall Park this evening starting around 6:00PM. Nothing formal, nothing serious, just kicking it around in honour and in memory of Jason.

You can also visit his website to post your thoughts: www.kickingitforjason.com.

D. Christian Franek
    President
    US98 Soccer Club
    www.us98soccer.com"

14. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Very sad loss for his family, friends, and your soccer club. RIP Jason.

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this.

16. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I've had more dealings with cancer in the last 2 yrs than I'd wish on anyone. I know what you're going through and my sympathies to his family, friends and to you personally, Christian, as well as the kids on your teams. His memory will live on in your hearts and in the positive lessons and impact he had on the kids.

God bless,

Matt

17. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Wow, how sad. Rest in Peace Jason.