Jol-"We're not Real Madrid"

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Jan 13, 2013.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Absolutely right! We're not Real Madrid, we're Barcelona!

What a maroon

3. jumpkutz

lol. I thought the exact same thing when I saw that.

4. jumpkutz

He might as well have said, "We're not Everton."

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I agree Mr. Jol, we aren't Real Madrid, but is it too much to ask to play better than Real Salt Lake?? :cool:

6. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

It's not the poor football that's the problem. It's the poor effort. But, hey, smart move dumping more gas on the fire.

I found the last line infuriating, "We looked a bit predictable and we will have to change it." We're 22 games in and he still can't figure it out. What's worse, we were winning the match. Why on earth would a team winning the game come out with such a crap effort in the 2nd half.

All this sounds like a manager on his way out the door. Hopefully sooner rather than later. We need more of a tactician and motivator.

7. jumpkutz

I predict this will be Herr Jol's last fling with the PL. Don't you think David Moyes would be happier in London than Liverpool? Just sayin'.

8. AggieMatt

I see no reason why Moyes would leave a team he's built up in his mold to take over one in need of a rather large overhaul. Even with Baines and Fellaini likely headed out the door.

We should be looking at managers with clubs in the Prem who have demonstrated some success with clubs fairly similar to Fulham or managers in the Championship that have sustained success in recent years. Guys I'd consider in order, Roberto Martinez (doubt he'd leave Wigan), Chris Hughton (terribly underrated manager), Roberto Di Matteo (pretty shaky on this one from his WBA stint), Gianfranco Zola (was screwed by WestHam ownership, good track record integrating young players successfully), Dave Jones & Kenny Jackett. Two maybes, Nigel Pearson & Eddie Howe (looks like an up & comer but probably too soon). And because he's so familiar with us, I'd at least talk with Ray Lewington. Or if we wait long enough, we can possibly snap up Rodgers after Liverpool sack him...but that might take a bit longer.

Except for Di Matteo, these guys are all currently managing other clubs, but clubs that are lower on the food chain than Fulham. I haven't really looked over the out of work managers list. I didn't look at anyone managing outside of England either.

9. tim

tim Active Member

Danny Murphy. Player-manager. Just saying.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: Jol-"We're not Real Madrid"

A little late for that.:cry:

11. jumpkutz

Not just 22 games in, my friend...22 games into his SECOND FULL SEASON! If he hasn't figured it out by now......

12. AggieMatt

The circumstances surrounding injuries and quality are significant enough that I don't count last year as evidence for or against Jol. We had both the quality and continuity in personnel that the circumstances didn't arise for us to judge his managerial prowess beyond teaching the players to play his system, outside of the odd game here or there. This year those other skills have been required and he has been found wanting. Desperately wanting.

The question now is whether those skills will continue to be in demand or if the club are going to splash the cash to upgrade the quality of the side. I think we're all coming to the realization that the latter probably isn't happening.