Johnny Cash The Movie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by americanmike, Oct 27, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

2. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Mike...I was on this like a fat kid on cake.

http://www.fulhamusa.com/index.php?name ... opic&t=613

Early Oscar talks for Joaquin Phoenix for this one. I'm wondering what section of his life they're going to cut out. I'd imagine from when he was a kid in Arkansas and his brother died in a sawmill accident until he struck it big.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Speaking of the FulhamUSA production of the Johnny Cash movie, are we going to see that or has Johnny put a kabosh on that getting out?

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to seeing it... I mean the cinema product .. though the FUSA version might also be a hoot.

And it simply cannot cover his whole life, but it can shed some light on complexities of life in the Bible Belt and what true Christians do...

Like this reviewer says, it REALLY should have been titled: "Ring of Fire"
    - though that title has been used over and over for other subjects, incl the Emile Griffeth story

May be the best music-movie {considering my geezerishness}, I hope, since the Commitments, which I thought was the best since "Great Balls of Fire"
    - which notably explained the relationship betweenthe flawed Jerry Lee Lewis and the flawed Jimmy Swaggart, his cousin and boyhood chum
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0097457/
    {if you've ever heard Swaggart play and sing gospel, you hear almost exactly the same style as Jerry Lee...should be, they got their style from the same place, black dance-halls}
    . . . .
    Though I ALSO liked Eight-Mile... go figger.
    - - - - - - -
    UPDATE:
    I went to IMDB to read the comments on Great Balls of FIre and was amused, as I usually am, by the cluelessness of a lot of the comments, there....
    such as: "Quaid is WAY over the top", which was obviously by some who never saw JLL interviewed or perform in person or read news accounts and quotes of the time...

While I have NO idea what's in the J Cash movie...I'm sure a lot of 'informed people' will totally miss the point of it, and the nuances, thereof...

And I WAS sure I'd commented on the movie, but...
    http://imdb.com/user/ur0372420/comments?order=alpha&summary=off&start=0

5. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I think I like the title. I'm going to see it tonight, so I'll have a better idea of the movie, but I think its really going to focus on how Cash got his start in Nashville, got booted from the traditional Country scene, and turned to drugs and alcohol. He was headed down the Elvis path, but June Carter turned him around and probably saved his life. She told him that he'd never be able to walk the line, he locked himself in his bedroom for 30 days, detoxed and came out relatively sober. I do think he had a few relapses though wtih painkillers in the 80's though.

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Haven't well all Johnny,... haven't well all.

7. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I did see this movie a few weeks ago, and although I've got a bias, i really thought it was really well done, definately worthy of a few Oscars next winter.

8. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I saw this on Sunday, it was ok. Yes of course it was worthy of awards, hopefully not for Reese Witherspoon, although this might the best movie she will ever be associated with.

I'm surprised they were both singing...

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

No way, Legally Blonde Part 1 is awesome!! Just kidding!!

10. Jux

Jux New Member

I don't know Tom, you distinguished between the original and the sequel. Looks to me that you do have a preference! :D

11. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

I'll admit that I've never found her attractive until she was a brunette