JK Rowling.. just get over it!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 19, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You should read your referenced posts, 'fog. The problem she has -- and I have -- is that the papers may have ruined the experience for THE KIDS. Forget everything else about Rowling and the books and realize how much she and they have done to encourage reading. Then realize how stupid and wasteful it is to do anything to damage that.

I know conservatives hate poor single mothers; I didn't realize they hated rich ones too.

TA TA!

3. pettyfog

Ah, the head touchy-feely on Fusa responds!
    ;)

And proves my point, though indirectly.
    EXACTLY where did I criticize a poor single mother?
    and
    Where did you get that I hate her.... or is criticizing someone's reaction to what happens in 'Real Life' hate speech?

Real Life is what you get when you're successful. Some deal with it, some dont.

But while we're on the subject let's address it in terms of Free Speech..let's say that we extend copyright to disclosure of IDEAS contained in unreleased FICTIONAL work.

Do you see a problem with that? I do....
    - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    However, on further consideration, is it okay if I criticize a RICH AS HELL author for cynically using "It's for the little Children" to further hype her book sales?

Or do you think she 's so innocent she ACTUALLY means what she says?

It would probably be easier to deduce if the leaks were traced to Cheney, Libby or Rove...

4. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I think she is a little silly to get so upset about it, as a plot synopsis will appear in the the dailys on Saturday morning anyhow and for people who don't want to know - they will have to avoid them.

5. pettyfog

Don, I gotta admit I love your posts... they are SO rich in mine-able concepts.

I have news for you... when I was a kid I didnt read books to find out WHAT happened, I read them to find out HOW AND WHY it happened.

Maybe I'm different, but I read the book about Doug BAder twice in a week... and I knew how it came out.

I read Catch-22 the second time {of four}, starting immediately after reading it the first time.

If kids are reading the books to find out what happened, they ARENT reading it...

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Okay, I understand. When she complains about the spoiler, that's her violating other people's free speech. When you complain about HER complaint, that ISN'T anything to do with HER free speech.

Two points:

1. She's not going to make any less money if only half the kids read her last book than might have. She has guarantees. That's how high-stakes publishing works. She's also the last person in the world to need to hype her book sales. I would have thought you'd have known that.

2. I applaud the purity of your childhood reading motives. You continue to be an inspiration to all of us. And I agree that any child who does need to maintain the mystery and suspense of a mystery-suspense story in order to fully enjoy it is not the intellectual giant you are.

By the way, I never said that YOU hate single mothers. I said conservatives do. That's why they harp about a family not being a family without a mother AND father, and they make it so difficult for low paid workers to get decent child care and medical care. Do you speak for ALL conservatives? Hmm.

And speaking of intellectual non-sequitors, who said anything about HATE SPEECH. Man, you just reach into the bag and pull out any club you have, don't you?

Well, this is getting perilously close to a political post, and I don't do those anymore. C ya! 8)

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Must say this little exchange has been one of the better ones between you two.

Don why is that you don't do political posts anymore?

8. pettyfog

Quote without comment.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Quote without comment.

Spencer: I'm leaving political posts alone because I'm getting tired of listening to my own voice and I figured the rest of you were as well. I'd rather talk fitba anyhow.