Jane Fonda

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I got one of the conservative emails that I receive at work from Jim ONeill on almost a daily basis today. It was about Jane Fonda being inducted into the California Hall of Fame and how this is a disgrace because Hanoi Jane is a traitor. It went on to give personal accounts about US POWs handing her notes which she gives to the N. Vietnamese, and other stuff.

read here

The things Fonda said are true but most of the soldiers stories appear to be made up from what I read on snopes and other urban myth sites.

Anyway, just wondering what you all think about Fonda's exploits in Vietnam, especially those of you who remember them first hand or have first hand knowledge.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't know how many times the POWs in question have to debunk the rumors that she passed on notes to Vietnamese guards or that she tipped them off to secret signs before these rumors get laid to rest.

This is a step up on the usual rants, however, in that usually they're in conjunction with a fictitious award that she's supposed to receive. There was one chain email that went around for about 8 years protesting her receiving some sort of award from the White House that never existed.

Now, as for me ... Fonda isn't one of my favorite actresses, and I think she's a vaccuous butt-head, but I can't ever remember hating her.

I am, however, a Vietnam veteran, and here's what pisses me off:

1. people on the right -- most of whom didn't go to war -- who have called me a traitor for criticizing the Bush Administration.

2. people in the Bush Administration who avoided service in Vietnam but who took every opportunity to crap on the sacrifices of Vietnam veterans Max Cleland [triple amputee], John Kerry [multiple purple hearts], and John McCain [5 years a POW] for partisan political purposes. The fact that this tactic worked in all three cases doubles my anger. The fact that these same bozos see no contradiction in avoiding their own service [and keeping their children out of the war] and then sending today's soldiers on repeated tours to Iraq and Afghanistan pisses me off even more. The fact that they sent these folks without sufficient body armor and vehicle armor when both were available, and then provided horrendous medical care to those who were wounded pisses me off the most.

Jane Fonda? Chicken feed.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I can hear this diatribal (new word that I just made up) ranting on TV, I was hoping for something more . . .

However, it's an interesting technique. Go on about whatever you want unrelated to someone's thread and then say "[subject] chicken feed"

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm so glad Don got the chance to tie Dubya into Hanoi Jane.

Don, you REALLY ought to get help on that obsession.
    - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -
    As to what I remember on it, pretty much what was in the news and that speaks for itself. Like Don says she was a vacuous naive butthead then, and has spent the years since justifying herself. It really doesnt NEED to be anything more.

No different than the celeb naifs of today. They attempt to counter their feelings of inner doubt by commenting on stuff they think they understand and puts them in the 'informed insider' clique at their parties. Hollywood and NY celebs are like FOREVER HIGH SCHOOL.

I can easily say that we went into VN for the wrong reasons, and fought that war the wrong way, but that did NOT make Uncle Ho the hero.... or any less an international villain. People like Fonda (at that time, she knows knows better NOW but still self-justifying) cant seem to understand that.

And .. if you can discount most of what you see in blog comments, you can discount EVERYTHING you see in a passed-around email. THAT stuff is crap they cant get a blogger to pay attention to. Do they quote searchable affirmation by the NVN? If it was true some guy who was guarding in the Hanoi would come out with it... or at least a hint about it.

And besides.. she is so 'yesterday'!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm sorry, Mo; I read your post as asking what I thought. My mistake.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Don Mo did ask your opinion about Jane Fonda's actions in Vietnam but not about the recent or not so recent RNC political tactics.

However, I do agree that chicken feed, vaccuos and butt-head sum up her actions in Vietnam quite well. The only thing I could add is disrepectful of soldiers and families of POW's.

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Mo you get all the good emails.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

heh... people have quit sending me emails.

First thing I do is 'snopes' and 'factcheck' 'em and send back the link.

Only emails I get now are from the Dems. And I know they never stretch the truth.
    {added}
    Oh.. wait. In interest of truth and justice, I think I recently got took in by one sent by my brother. Cant recall what it was about. Think I'm off his list now, though.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I'll just let it go on She Who Will Not Be Named By Me -- it's a beautiful day in Cleveland, my boy is making me laugh, why let that woman ruin my day.

Upon further review --

Come on, Don, what you posted had nothing at all to do with the topic of the thread. You just fabricated an argument out of thin air. You're smarter than that, I expect more from you.

Chicken feed?!? Great balls of fire, we get the one Vietnam vet with that opinion. Oh well, you're certainly entitled to it.

Gosh, I sound just like pettyfog.