Its offical: Arena voted off the island

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Spencer, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

2. rumstove

rumstove New Member

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The best part of Galarcep's article is the last part... in using Donovan and Donovan's uncertainty about playing for a new guy, we have the reason why Arena should have gone... and the reason to offer JK whatever it takes to convince him.. and his wife..to take the job.

Everyone has their price.. and so what if the US has to pay him 2 or 2.5 million a year!
    And the US has the inside track if anyone does.

but it wont hurt to wait, either. Myernick knows the system as well as anyone for the six months or so it will take to allow JK to stew over it.

I always was optomistic we'd get him.... but now I am even more so

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Interesting article on the direction the USMNT should go in while looking for it's next coach. Could we stomach having the Chelscum coach leading our charge? Absolutely. Will it happen? Nope.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5794834

5. martin

martin New Member

Re: RE: Its offical: Arena voted off the island

What has Mourinho proven anyway? That he can win club championships with unlimited funds and the best players in the world? That doesn't exactly describe the USMNT job.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Arena voted off the island

I am a fan of Trecker's writing, but I do NOT think Mourinho is the man for the USMNT.

To answer your question Martin, Mourinho in my opinion has done very little at Chelsea. In fact, his inability to mesh talent and get the best out of his team leads me to believe he would struggle on the International scene.

A few players have flourished under Mourinho at Chelsea. Lampard, Terry, Cech and Makelele to name a few. However, a manager's responsibility is to maximize the talent he/she has. Can anyone, even a Chelsea fan, tell me that Mourinho has done that? I am not even saying that as a Chelsea hater. I am being completely honest.

Mourinho has driven Shaun Wright-Phillips into the ground, he plays Michael Essien like a defensive midfielder and he has no clue how to utilize Crespo. These are just a few areas where Mourinho falls well short.

Premiership titles aside, Chelsea has underachieved in my opinion. They are head and shoulders the cream of the crop not only in England, but in Europe as well and for some reason, they cannot win the Champions League. That comes down to coaching.

One point I will make in defense of Mourinho was the incredible job he did at Porto. They won the UEFA Cup and Champions League in successive seasons and Mourinho established Porto as a strong club. He did that with a little money, but not nearly the money he has now.

7. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

RE: Arena voted off the island

Mourinho would not even consider being th US coach. If he is going to coach any national side it would be Portugal or England.