Islam and Rome

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 26, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

What the Islamic Scholars Forgot to Tell the Pope

Just a few niggling differences, there, on actual Freedom of Religion.

Summary: What's NOT addressed there is that Islam is directly relatable to the Church of Rome. In the early/middle of the last millenium.

That's why we call it "The Dark Ages".

Anyone see an Islamic Martin Luther up ahead? Seems they've already got plenty of 'John Calvins' and Cromwells

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Good article.

I do think there will be an Islamic Martin Luthor - perhaps in our lifetime - things are comnig to a head in that direction.

As for how they handle apostates, you could misread the Bible and come to a similar conclussion. The Bible lists "denying the Holy Ghost" as the "unpardonable sin" and a man, without the proper divine inspiration, could interpret that to include all those that leave Christianity. Focus on the scriptures you want and "overlook" the ones you don't and you can use the Bible to justify all kinds of things against apostates. I don't know the Quran well enough (having read <1% of it) to know where they're drawing their conclussions from, but I doubt if it is any stronger a case than the biblical one I outlined above.

It's always a danger when you have men interpreting scripture and is especially dangerous in nations with a national religion (there are countries in South America where you cannot be a military officer unless you are Roman Catholic; some European nations have tendencies in this regard, and how much heat did JFK and Romney take for running for president as non-Protestants?).

But yet, I do think Mohammed Luthor will arrive on the scene soon.

3. pettyfog

Well, depending on how you read revelations, that seems highly likely.

There are SOME high clerics that I think should have more voice, and it's always impressed me that al-Sistani in Iraq is the guy we could certainly get behind.
    And indeed, the US and GOI, to say nothing of the Sunni, depend on his leadership to a VERY large extent, and always have.. For a senior Shia cleric, that's saying something..yet he gets no press. I suppose that's the way he wants it, though.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, not to ruffle too many feathers, but Martin Luther had some serious mental problems* in addition to being a raging anti-Semite. His followers also insisted on religious exclusivity in areas where their faith was prominent, including gorgings and other fun stuff.

* Luther reported several face-to-face conversations with Satan, one of which featured both participants throwing feces at each other -- LITERALLY.

[oh, and I'm disappointed. I was hoping this thread was about a fatwah against Jim Rome] :3d crying:

5. pettyfog

Waht's NEXT, an expose of St Augustine? I thought I MIGHT have addressed scurrilous stuff like that by bringing up Cromwell and Calvin.

And how do you know that DIDNT happen? Dont you think God has a sense of humor?

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

"Martin Luthor" is just used as an analogy for the Reformation movement; an attempt to get back to the roots and intent of the religion, rather than the dogmatic institution that it has "evolved" into.