Interesting Take on Obama

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

This is an interesting article I found on Obama from the Atlantic Monthly. I think it is worth a read by anyone who plans on voting in November. You might think it's crap, but I think the author's thoughts are worth considering.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200712/obama

2. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Solipsistic? I had to look that one up. :)

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

kind of an elderly article; Andrew Sullivan is good reading in terms of how he uses the language, but I always suspect his content. He has a entire matched set of luggage he's towing around, and he can't keep it out of his "reporting."

Thanks for posting, Mo.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Second Don.

Sullivan is liked by a lot of folks for his word-craft; unfortunately he is his own biggest fan. If you asked him how events, since then, have changed his views and the meaning of the article, he would likely say 'not a bit.'

Yet in his support for a given conclusion, you notice that he tends to turn himself into a pretzel, evidence used pro-cert in one article might be used apposite, in a few months time.

His second schema is to take a posit and run with it to extreme. When he does that, he'll bounce back and forth, using one fact and embellishing it with background facts that dont quite jibe.
    Example of that is his description of Obama's mother as of the 'Baby Boomer' generation. He is quite careful to avoid linking her in with other boomers, you notice, because she is far from typical boomer. Unless you count 'counter-culture bohemian' as part of the boomer generation.

Nope. Sullivan is quite predictable and willing to buff up and shine a pig when it comes to supporting his world view, and nowhere is this more evident than when he is criticized for non-factual content.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

That one in reference to his sexual orientation or the corroding effect a public career has on ones image or both? Will Media Matters get on me for reading that way? Screw em.

As for the article his thesis is basically that there is little to no difference in the positions among the candidates, that all the contention is down to cultural differences. Well Obama is well suited to bridge some cultural contentions, I thinks he's underestimating are contentions and mislabeling their source.