Injuries Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Well, if there is a position where we cannot afford many injuries it is in the center of defense. And according to the BBC, Aaron Hughes looks set to miss six weeks with ligament damage in his foot. That is NOT the kind of news I was hoping to hear before the season begins on Sunday. I was counting on Hughes to be a major factor for the defense.

This adds even more fuel to the fire that we absolutely need another center back soon. We cannot afford to field a defensive team with Zat Knight, Ian Pearce and the others we have had to painfully watch over the last few seasons. Get someone new in here soon!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 936828.stm

2. martin

martin New Member

Losing Hughes is bad. Hopefully LS will get a CB in soon. Like Tom said, this is the position where we can least afford to have sombody out.

Let's hope this is the shortest thread on FUSA!

3. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

That hurts. It really does. Let's hope he can pull in a last minute transfer to fill the void with someone of QUALITY.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

on the plus side, when watching the QPR-Fulham highlights, I think I saw Philippe Christanval. His pairing with Boca was our best in the CB position IMHO

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Dammit! I had Hughes as our biggest impact player to start this season.
    Not happy, not happy at all.

I'm with Don, until Baird can prove that his mistakes so far are an anomaly, Christenval and CaptainCarlos in the back please.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Injuries Thread

Any pairing we had last season should NOT be playing again this season. We gave up 60 goals last season, 42 of which came on the road. Christanval, Bocanegra, Knight, Pearce and the lot of them are all part of that problem.

My main concern with our team is the defense and in particular the center of the defense. This is our achilles heel and could be a major, major problem this season.

Even saying that Christanval and Bocanegra looked good against QPR scares the crap out of me. Just thinking about these two or even Pearce and Knight trotting out there against Arsenal scares me.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Tom, I realize that even NINE new signings and a successful pre-season can't totally damp down the flames of your pessimism :wink: , but you must realize that we can't bring in a central defender this week and have him do anything but disrupt whatever plan Lawrie has for his defense. A striker maybe; a winger maybe -- but these guys are often lone foragers anyhow. For a new central defender to make any impact in the squad before mid-September, he needed to be in place before training camp opened. By all lights, Lawrie signed two before that time. If Hughes is indeed injured, I think Lawrie will go with Baird.

Ideally, you don't want any injuries in the run-up to the season, but they happen. What you especially DON'T want is a panic transfer that'll upset the rhythm and system that Lawrie has spent training camp instilling. If nothing else, it'll send the message that the loss of 1/9th of the new cast is enough to send Fulham down to the CCC, and I don't believe that for a moment.

Man, I can't remember a day that I've disagreed with you so often on so many topics! :D

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I agree that no new defender is going to have any impact on Sunday's or even Wednesday's game, but the thought of even trotting out the same defensive center back pairing scares me. That defense was horrid last season and there is no denying that from anyone.

I guess we will wait and see what happens, but I have a bad feeling about the team not fairing as well as they possibly could if we do NOT bring in another center back before August 31st. We have a strong team in all areas...except for defense. This has been a problem for a long, long time and it is one that needs fixing.

We are going to score some goals, but keeping them out of our own net will be the challenge. We can't expect to beat teams 3-2 each match.

Perhaps I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but as you all know, I feel very passionately about improving our defense.

9. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

The pairing of Bocanegra and Pearce was actually pretty successful last season, although in limited time (5 games, 0.879 goals/90 minutes). If Hughes is going to be out for awhile and Baird is playing RB, this may not be a horrible option.