Howard Zinn interview

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Bradical, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Bradical

Bradical Member

I make sure to regularly read international news, as I tire easily of the US media's vitriol. On 9/11, I always read international news - I think it is helpful to take the temperature of the worldview of the US, and also a measure of the times.

So in doing so yesterday, I came across a rather interesting interview of Howard Zinn on (of all places) an Al Jazeera website:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2008/09/20089814415795791.html

For anyone not familiar with Howard Zinn, he is a prolific writer and histoian (PhD Columbia) and he (and others) published The Pentagon Papers during the Vietnam War and has been outspoken against the invasion/occupation of Iraq. My favorite quote of his: "There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people for a purpose which is unattainable."

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Zinn is so full of it. His views are indefensible if applied to an overall strategy of leading a nation. He has these veiws to fill a niche that no one else does because he is a crap historian.

According to him, the US has not had one good president, ever. Totally and utterly ridiculous! Then when pressed on how he can say that he says, "Well, maybe FDR". I dont make it a point to go around criticizing FDR but he did use a war as an excuse to use his executive powers far more than GW has.

Thanks for posting though because it reminded to check Al Jeezera every now and then. I like it.

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Howard Zinn interview

thanks for the link. interesting.