How the Crew turned it around

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jul 1, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

And now it's official... the Columbus Crew have definitely turned their season around.

It's amazing what a healthy continuous dose of confidence can bring to a team
    With three wins and a tie in their last four games, they've definitely proved that they have what it takes to win against anyone in the league... and not just by lobbing the ball toward the box and praying. Even after the win against LA at HDC, there were doubters but on Saturday, their performance in dismantling the Red Bull scoring machine was, by all accounts, clinical.

And they did it without their catalyst Barros Schelotto, who was available but recovering from a niggle picked up last Saturday. Unlikely proof of the confidence he's brought into the team, though, is personified by center back Chad Marshall who had a few mistakes but largely was responsible for neutralizing Juan Pablo Angel. For the last few years we had wondered if Marshall wasnt just a flash in the pan in his first year when he had looked so promising.

Adding to that, Frankie Hejduk had his psyche boosted in the Gold Cup, and came back into the club without skipping a beat.

The point is that this 'team confidence' issue applies at whatever level it's experienced and, depending on how summer training goes, Fulham may see the same results. Nothing breeds success like success.

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Thats great Jim, and I'm happy for the Crew...it was looking fairly grim 5 games ago bt like you say, they've showed they can do it against anyone. Go Crew!

3. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

from what i've read about cookie's management (assuming its valid), i think there might actually be summer training this year.

4. pettyfog

5. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Hopefully they do well enough for GBS to stay and not retire.

6. pettyfog

You cant tell it from his expression leaving the game, for sure... but from all accounts, he's having the fun he thought he would.

Sure has made the impact we fans hoped for. There's evidently a coterie of GBS fans following him around to matches.