How far will the USA get in the world cup?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by fulhamfottier, Jun 4, 2006.

?

How far wil U.S.A. get in the world cup?

1. Group Stages

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Second Round

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Quarter Finals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Semi Finals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Final

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fulhamfottier

fulhamfottier New Member

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

As much as I would like to think the US will do really well, I have a bad feeling that they will not make it out of the group stage. I think the Italians are too strong and the Czechs and Ghanaians are solid as well and will give the US all they can handle.

I hope the team proves me wrong, but I will not be surprised if they are headed home after three matches.

3. fulhamfottier

fulhamfottier New Member

What's happening with that young player Freddy Adu?

4. DCDave

DCDave Member

Freddie's not quite ready yet. Wathing him w/ DC United, it's really striking how small he is.

I am optomistic about sneaking into the #2 spot. We'll probably lose to Brazil, but I'd like to see that matchup anyway.

5. fulhamfottier

fulhamfottier New Member

I'm pretty confident U.S.A are going to bust some chops this summer.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Freddy has everything but [a] temprement and the ability to hold off defenders behind him. Once he has that, he'll probably be our greatest ever.

Where will the US go? I think that they'll go through with CZ. I think that Italy are in disarray and that CZ will probably make the finals. Great strikers, solid midfield, stingy defense, incredible goalkeeper.

7. fulhamfottier

fulhamfottier New Member

Did ya vote?

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I don't think the US team will go very far this time. We're playing in Europe, a location where wins allude the team. Plus, half the team just seems off form (O'Brien hasn't played in a meaningful game in what, two years?) and the US defense on set plays seems a little shaky.

A look at the group stage, team USA, results in the past 4 World Cups:

'90 Italy 0-0-3
    '94 US 1-1-1
    '98 France 0-0-3
    '02 South Korea/Japan 1-1-1
    '06 Germany ?-?-?

I hope they're not going for perfect symmetry, but...?

I just want to add that I do see a possibility of them winning the group but they'll have to play the best games of their lives and definitely have to beat the Czechs in the opening match.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm taking the long shot -ON HERE-.. saying that US will get to quarters.

I havent been saying that, but how can you be a fan and NOT think they'll get past Italy and Ghana?!

And, no.. they will get at least ONE point.

10. fulhamfottier

fulhamfottier New Member

I said 2nd round.I'm pretty confident ye will get past the group stages.If only Ireland were in it.IF only.

11. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well part of me thinks they could go out with only a point or three. The other part of me says well they're capable of pulling it off and making a run. The way I look at it, if they can manage to get 7 or 9 points they'll have some major momentum and there would be no telling how far they could go. Unless they play Brazil in the second round :lol:

But hey you got to beat the best to be the best. If they could beat Brazil they can win the whole damn thing. A weak FFC side can beat Chelski than the USA can beat Brazil.

All and all I think they'll go to the second round.

Anyways my gooch jersey arrived yesterday :D I'm pumped and ready to go!

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Got an idea... Get a Bill the Cat stuff toy, put a miniature Mexico jersey, with little letters for Borgetti on it, and applique that sucker to the front of the Gooch jersey, all splayed out like Wiley Coytote smacking into the cliff face-first.
    - - - -- -
    Heh... Does Von Billy do caricatures?

13. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: How far will the USA get in the world cup?

I'm with Heather on this one and our first match is the most important one of them all. Beating the Czechs will carry us out of the group stage, a loss and, well, it will be a short tournament of dissapointment. A tie, and its anyones guess.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: How far will the USA get in the world cup?

I have to disagree about the first match thing -- and I hope the guys aren't buying into it. Momentum is wonderful, but the CZ are tough and I'd hate for any of us to give up if the better team wins on the day. I think we can beat Ghana and Italy also, but I'm still looking at 4 points from the first round and on to the second.

15. AGreen16

AGreen16 Member

RE: Re: RE: How far will the USA get in the world cup?

I think that we will get out of the group stages. If we don't win the group however our round of 16 opponent would be Brazil and that would be a tough ask.