High School Soccer

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I spent last night watching our high school girls soccer team play in the state semifinals. Our team was the surprise cinderella story of the tournament. Having beaten heavily favored teams in their two previous matches, they faced the number one ranked team in the entire state last night. They were totally outclassed in every attribute required on the soccer field other than heart, and possibly speed. However, their defense and goalies held firm and fought off attack after attack - not giving up a goal until there were 15 minutes left to play. Then with two minutes remaining, our crowd came to life, the girls really started to push forward and they converted what was only their fourth shot of the entire match to tie the game with 15 SECONDS LEFT TO PLAY!! It was incredible; one of those high school sports moments that you will never forget.

However, the overtime was sudden death and the bad guys scored on a beautiful header after 8 minutes. In the end, the best team won, but I was so impressed with our local girls. They absolutely did not give up in what had to be an exhausting game and they showed so much composure. Their coach is a wonderful, incredibly decent guy who is the president of our local soccer club - last year I believe he was named Ohio's coach of the year for girls soccer. Anyway, shows you what good coaching can do.

The election is over so instead of "Get out the Vote", I'm saying "get out and support your local soccer". I know amatuer soccer doesnt look that great on TV but you would be surprised with how exciting it is in person.

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Forza Shaker!! Great to hear about it Mo. -- you're on a roll recently

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Re: High School Soccer

Being a HS coach I can attest to the fun of these matches. When you get deep into the post season and parents and students show up in force, there is something exceptional about HS soccer.

Sounds like a great night.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: High School Soccer

At least your team season ended in a close game. And losing close to Strongsville in soccer is no disgrace.
    I recall when my son's HS had one of those magic seasons. Played gut-game after gut-game, always as the underdog, and got to State Finals, against Cols St Charles who was in Div III only that one year, {3 boys short to drop down}... then got drubbed. Had the feeling, afterward, it might have been better to lose the semi in a squeaker.

And our HS Girls team was ranked Div II #10 in the state the last month of the season this year but fell out in the District Finals. They had, I believe, a purposely weak season season schedule {you wouldnt believe the stats, unbeaten during regular season two years in a row}

Congrats to Shaker Heights, anyway. Those girls will probably always remember it... for damn sure the parents will.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks for making us part of this, Mo; this is where real sports has ALWAYS lived. And, thanks also, 'fog. It's good to remember that sports isn't really about millionaires playing for billionaires to fill television time.

Go on and get some, Shaker Heights!

6. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Congrats to your team!!!! Reading your recap really makes me wish I could have been there

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Congrats to your local HS team for fairing so well. Katie and I went to the girls sectional matchup between Evansville Memorial and our HS district Castle. Poor Kaite was so confused. She wanted to root for Castle but her former travel soccer coach is the head coach at Memorial and she wanted her to win more. Memorial won the match 4-0 and went on to win the girls state title along with their male counterparts. It was the first time in Indiana the boys and girls titles were won by the same high school in the same year. It was certainly no disgrace for the Castle High girls to lose to Memorial as they went through the state tournament unscored upon and are a perinnal soccer power in the state.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing and supporting the team Mo. Out here on the left coast soccer is winter sport and tryouts start next week. My daughter is a freshman goalie and this will be the first time I will be in the stands instead of the sidelines for her games (fingers-crossed that I'll be able to handle the transition).

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I'm glad there are people on here who like talking about HS soccer. 'Fog that's awesome that your son got to play in a state final game. I know these girls definitely wont forget making it to the semi-finals - playing at night under the lights with a large crowd doesnt happen very often for many soccer players.