High School Basketball

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by IanHux, Feb 4, 2008.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well my season has two weeks left. What a marathon (4 months)! Right now the Jacks varsity squad is having a lackluster season but just qualified for the district tourney saturday. The C-Squad (my team :D) is having a pretty good season at 10-6. We face a tough schedule this weekend though against Grandview and Ellensburg (basically the big guns at the C level). I believe we will win but its gonna be tough. Hopefully we can pull that off and finish off the season at 15-6. Just thought i'd throw that into cyberspace.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good system.. or you're in a really big school.

I take it Varsity is A, Reserves B, Junior Varsity C

Do you play smaller school A/B? Or is your sched only against other C?

Good Luck.

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i coach girls high school basketball...assist w/ the varsity. have been doing it for 10 years. We are having an ok season considering our personnel losses from last year. We lost 2 All State players from last season (one a D-1 player, the other an NAIA player), another player who is playing for a D II or III school, and 3 other contributors. We have just 2 players back with limited varsity experience, and start 3 sophomores while 3 other sophomores and one freshman play significant minutes. We purposely put together a brutal preseason schedule and went 1-9 in preseason, and got whipped by 28 in our first region game to start 1-10. Since then, we won 3 straight, lost the next two against the two best region teams by 5 and 3 points. The 3 point loss was to the team that smoked us by 28 in the first region game. We then won our next game and sit tied for third place at 4-3 in region play. We have a great chance at getting the 3rd and final State tournament spot as the team we are tied with has to come to our gym on Friday, and we already beat them at their place. Our goal this season was to make the tournament and the way we've played recently it looks as though we'll have a good chance. The next two years are looking very good for our program. The nicest part is we've had a winning tradition here with back to back state titles, and 3 other semi-final appearances in the years I've been coaching. Making the tournament this year would be a huge success considering the start we had and the youth of our program.

no one probably cares about any of that but I thought I would mention it anyway. :)

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

way to go, doggie and good luck to both you and ianhux5 for the rest of the season.

5. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Our school has about 600 students and 32 players in our guys program. We are actually the smallest school in the league. We had one preseason game against a smaller school and after that 20 league games against same division schools. Yeah our varsity placed 2nd in state a few years back and after that it hasnt been too peachy. And thank you HatterDon.

6. IanHux

IanHux New Member

ok, quick update on how the season played out. we were unable to beat grandview and ellensburg (although we have to potential to beat them by at least 10). We came into the last week looking to take 3 in a row and we did despite doing everything we could to lose the last game (yesterday we won by 2 and our opponents missed a buzzerbeating 3). We finished at 13 -7 and hope to build on this next year.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well done ianhux5 and players. Let's hope Fulham have that same finishing stroke!