HELP!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFC24, Jun 19, 2008.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I know I know, I don't deserve help from you lot, but this debate I'm having with this idiot is gonna make me go crazy. Who were the first people to come to this land we know as America? Native Americans, yeah?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

go to the library and check out a book called 1491 -- New Revlations of the Americas Before Columbus. It's by Charles C. Mann and it's the most up-to-date history/archaeology of pre-Columbian North and South America extant.

Better yet, the paperback has been out for a year or so. Buy it and read it over the summer.

Mann has no opinion on the relative quality of Mexico or the US in soccer.

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

So I was right! They did start the first society on this land. Good.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

BTW, since I use the computer at the library, I picked it up. Looks a good read and I should have it done in a few days or so. I finished a howard Zinn book in that amount of time and it was double the pages.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

huh? :wow:

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Then what's the answer to the original question?

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Who's they? And what do you mean by America?

If we're talking North America, then the most commonly held theory is ancient Asiatic peoples. The debate is whether they were fishermen from Japan or hunter/gatherers from Siberia. The latter, I think, were the Inuit. If we're talking the continental US, then the theory is a group of peoples who came up from South America. I believe they were called the Clovis. From what little I've read on the matter, the Asiatic peoples came first but their migration was confined to Alaska/Canada due to the Ice Age.

Course so much of the western coast of North America was overrun by the Pacific, so who knows if there will ever be a definitive answer.

If your answer was Native Americans, then you would be wrong. Their ancestors perhaps, but that would depend on what tribe as to which lineage they can trace back to. Of course all of this is theoretical, so even then, good luck proving your right.

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I was mainly talking about their ancestors who crossed the beiring strait.

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Evidence from a couple years ago suggests the fishermen predated the Bering crossers. Again though, none of this has been determined to be conclusive, and likely never will be.

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Oh fuck it. I give up. So basically I wasted my time arguing who had more right to the land. Europeans or the natives. Dammit.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Oh, I actually thought you wanted to learn something. Read the book.

And i have a tough time finishing any Zinn book in two days. I keep laughing out loud about every third paragraph and that slows me down. 1491 is a serious book. You should give it a shot. Learn something; it won't hurt that much.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

What's wrong with Zinn? It's nothing to laugh at. I know I know, he might be a little too radical for you lot.

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

yeah, I had already concluded you read Zinn; you speak the same nonsense.

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I read Chomsky too. Not nonsense. Maybe not the most objective authors, but good for a read.

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I havent read Chomsky so I dont know if he is nonsense or not. But I havent read him because when I read about history, I prefer the works of history scholars not linguistics scholars. Call me crazy!

16. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

This really should not be that difficult.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

where have you been, CF; EVERYTHING this afternoon has been difficult.

18. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Mo, don't worry too much about reading Chomsky -- unless you like fiction.

19. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Chomsky is actually a very good author and has a good undertsanding of the Middle East. Obviously it's a very leftist take on the middle east, but him actually being from Israel and having lived there and having met with a vast majority of leaders and such there, I'd think he has a good understanding of what goes on in that part of the world.

As for the book Don recommended. Thanks for that. I am learning alot.

20. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

It seems as though modern Native Americans were like the 3rd or 4th wave of migrants, but uinlike the Europeans there is no history of them slaughtering the migrants that were already here. So the "But they were migrants just like us" bs is true, but not telling the whole truth.