Help Mary the Marathoner - Fulham Community Trust

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Sep 6, 2006.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

As some of you may or may not know, is that Fulham Supporters Club member and FFC Community Trust member has been training hard for the NEW YORK MARATHON to help raise money for the Trust.

Mary, along with other members of the Fulham Supporters Club have helped build a great relationship with FulhamUSA and have bent over backwards to help bridge the gap between the US and England.

Fulham supporter Mary Daniels will be running the New York marathon on November 5th to raise £10,000 for the Fulham FC Community Sports Trust and the Bobby Moore Foundation.

Mary sits as a voluntary member of Fulham FC’s Charity Committee and can be seen pounding the streets of Fulham in her bid to reach peak fitness for the marathon.

As mentioned on the official site:

Mary said “Having never run further than the bus stop this is a huge personal challenge, mentally and physically! However, having watched my son lose two of his grandparents to cancer, with a third currently undergoing Chemo and when I see the benefits that the children and disadvantaged children are receiving from the commitment and hard work of the Community Sports Trust, it makes my pain insignificant … So come on dig deep!! If I can get up at the crack of dawn 5 times a week and learn to run the least you can do is to give a helping hand to two very worthy causes!!"

I urge anyone to give just a little to help her and the Community trust, achieve their goal. To give, you can go here: www.justgiving.com/marydanielsffc and make a donation.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Consider it done, Mikey. (as soon as I get home)

Good luck to Mary on her marathon. The last 10 miles are the real challenge. If she's reading this, hopefully this tip will help...just do everything possible to keep you're feet cool and with little friction (special running socks are good) as possible--foot powder helps. Blisters in marathons are not fun. Don't be afraid to walk either.

3. americanmike

I am sending this thread to the Supporters Club so even if you can't give money (which trust me, don't feel obliged), please post some words of encouragement for her. Even if you read this board and don't post, please make it a point to post this once to send her luck.

4. RDG

RDG Member

Ugh, naturally, the marathon is on the day I will be getting home from London. Of the past three years, I've had to root on a Sunderland fan and a Nottingham Forest fan, so it would have been nice to put on an FFC shirt and pick out several spots to cheer on Mary. Best of luck to her (on collecting the funds AND finishing the race!!)

5. BoasBoy

BoasBoy New Member

Wow, best of luck to you Mary. This is something I've always thought about doing but never got to training for. The feeling of accomplishment once you've done it will be amazing and you have my support.

6. americanmike

I went to Fulham Charity Pub Quiz last night in support of Mary Daniels and her goal of raising 10,000 pounds for the Fulham Community Sports Trust.

Although my team of pub quizzers didn't win, we also didn't come in last!! Lots of Fulham fans there who participated and it was attended by a few Fulham Legends including Simon Morgon, Fred Callaghan and Les Strong.

Mary was in good spirits and I must say she is looking like a Marathoner already! Please wish Mary well...she has two more months of training...

7. rumstove

rumstove New Member

She should do the Great North Run as a tune-up. Actually, I think it's this weekend.

Good luck Mary...with your training and the marathon!

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member