Hello from Adelaide, South Australia

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by Hoppy, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

I was a Fulham regular through the days of Johnny Haynes, George Cohen, Malcolm McDonald, Les Barret, Jimmy Conway, Steve Earle, Alan Clarke etc. Followed them faithfully from the 1st division down to the 3rd division. Have been living in Oz for 19 years, and still follow them as closely as I can, and great to see them in the EPL.

2. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

Welcome Hoppy!!!!

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Welcome to the site Hoppy! There are a few others who visit the site from Australia. Glad to have another on board. Having supported Fulham for many seasons you surely must have some good stories related to the club. Feel free to share them with us.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Hello Hoppy.

5. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

Well most of my memories go back a long time, maybe before many of you became Fulham fans. I saw them in the FA Cup Final against West Ham in the late 70s. Lost 0-2, but I thought we were the better team. Two great wingers in those days - Les Barret and Jimmy Conway (Irish International).

Also have a clear memory of seeing them play Liverpool , and standing on the Thames bank, close to the pitch. Right in front of me, "Pancho" Pearson and Ian St. John started fighting, and St. John was sent off.

Also remember Alan Clarke scoring lots of goals in the then 1st Division.

Unfortunately also lot of depresssing trips home on the tube having seen them lose, as they went from 1st to 3rd division.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Welcome Hoppy; it's great to read perspectives from a long time fan. Just curious about the Whites newest Aussie signing Leijer. We've never seen the kid play, if you have, what are your thoughts on him?

7. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

I've only seen a few A-League matches over here. I don't recall seeing Leijer play, but he certainly has a good reputation. He missed the recent Australia - Argentina game because of a booking, and the general talk was that he was sorely missed. Based on that, he looks like a good acquisition.

A player I do like over here is Nathan Burns, of Adelaide United. Only 19 or 20, plays for the Olyroos (the Australian Olympic team), and I think a real talent.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks Hoppy, quite enjoyed watching the Socceroos the last WC, what position does young Mr. Burns play?

9. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

He's a forward. Stocky, muscular, strong, not overly tall, skilful. In the old days, we'd have called him an inside right or inside left.

Here's an extract from a newspaper report of the Sydney v Adelaide match:

"However, the first goal fell to Adelaide United. Nathan Burns ghosted past three Sydney FC defenders before squaring the ball across the box to Richie Alagich, who shot low and hard past Clint Bolton to open the scoring..... Just like all Sydney FC versus Adelaide United matches, action was never far away, and Nathan Burns snatched an equaliser for the away side after a miscommunication in Sydney FC's defence. Djite flicked the ball across to Burns who headed in to tie up the game."
    Sounds good eh?

And here's a profile of him. I note that it says hes only 70kg, which is small, but he looks bigger than that.
    http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/defaul ... em&pid=701

10. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Cheers, Hoppy!!
    Welcome.
    COYW

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Hi Hoppy, Welcome to FulhamUSA.

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

welcome Hoppy. Nice to have you aboard. Do you get to watch many Fulham games in Australia?

13. Hoppy

Hoppy New Member

Have only recently discovered how to watch over the net. Saw the Arsenal Fulham match. Will try to watch us beat Man City tomorrow. Otherwise its not easy to watch in Australia unless you pay big $ for satellite or cable, which I can't bring myself to do - even then, you'd probably only see Chelski, Man U etc.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hi Hoppy. Welcome aboard.

About the match, several of us are quite happy to have Gentleman Jim when we don't have TV. Tomorrow's match will be televised here in the states, but there's usually a lively contingent in the chatroom. Hope you can join us there.