Hangeland's drop off

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Nov 23, 2009.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Credit to 24 and HD for this (see Birmingham match thread).

I don't think Brede's drop in play has gone unnoticed, it's been fairly obvious to everyone. However, the real question is why? Have teams figured out how to attack him? I'm sure teams have made adjustments.
    To me his main problem is between his ears. There is without a doubt a correlation between his contract (or lack there of) and his recent play. Cue the 'he's making 20k a week to play a game, I'd do it for free' argument. However, no matter what you do, if you are worthy of a raise and it drags on, it will rightly or wrongly seep into your job performance.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, SCJ is the King of Timing. Reports from Merrie Olde say that Hangeland has agreed to a new contract. To wit:

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I think a possible cause is a lack of "steel" in front of him unlike last year...I thought Etuhu and/or Murphy were solid last year in front of him, and while not a big dropoff, he hasn't seen the same protection this year.

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

On the ground - getting him turning... He gets exposed.

There is a reason why he has not been picked up. I am not saying he is not a great player - he is, and a huge (No pun) part of Fulham - but I agree with nevzter - due to changes and Europa, the tactics change slightly and it can go away from his strengths.

I have been laughing at all his runs forward these days. Both centerbacks have been carrying the ball into the attack which has been interesting.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

HD, here's hoping that the report is true. Just like Gooch, it's always best to attack a big center back on the ground.

A happy worker is a productive worker, so if he is signed and sealed expect a much better Tex/Viking in 2010

6. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

OFFICIAL
    Right from the FFC Site:

Article comes with a picture of Brede signing a piece of paper presumably in some kind of office?

Anyway, I'm glad Hangeland will remain a White for the next 4 years. With respect to his form dropping, I'd like to think it's because he's not an unknown player now. The EPL knew damn well how good he was last season and so most teams in the league have an idea of what his tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses are. Therefore, they have adjusted and as such he doesn't look as dominant.

In due time, I think Hangeland will make adjustments to his own game in response.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Good for Brede and good for Fulham. Anyone think there is no coincidence they Roy and Brede signed extensions at virtually the same time.

8. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Great for Fulham, great for us, great for Craven Cottage.

Roy next.