Greetings from atlanta

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by AtlantaJohn, Jan 14, 2005.

1. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Hi to all you Fulham fans in the US. My name is john and i have been a Fulham fan for many many years. My first game was around 1954 thats 50 years ago!!!!!!! I just realized that, I was born within sound shot of Loftus road, but became a Fulham fan because of my Mums family who lived just down the road from Craven Cottage. I travelled with the supporters in the 60's and went every week home and away, visiting all the the top grounds, and even some of the lesser know ones like Bradford park Avenue to see Fulham win a cup tie, I think 4-2. I have pictures of Craven Cottage and old Fulham teams around my walls, and run a couple of adult teams down here, and of course they are called Fulham. Have two sons and a daughter, and 4 grandkids and one on the way, my youngest son is and i hate to admit it a Man U supporter, he plays for us though. My wife is from Chicago and i have lived in Atlanta for 21 years, when i first come over here it was very hard to get the scores, used to rely on BBC world service but now with the internet and fox sports world, get to see them as much as i can, when i go back i try and fit in a game or two. I will always be a Fulham fan, i could have defected many times to teams that are bigger or more successful, but the memories of standing on the riverside before the stand was there on a saturday afternoon with the wind blowing across the thames and the rain pelting down as you watched johhny haynes play against bobby charlton is something thats in your blood, and the best example of what it means to be a Fulham, its like you guys in Chi town who are cubbie fans, its in your blood no matter what. Will watch the game Sunday on pay per view down here, its for me a must win like all of them but a real 6 pointer, and out of all the relegation teams WBA look like the most likely to go down. Anyway hello from Atlanta, fellow Fulham fans.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

John, nice post. It is great to hear stuff like that. Being a Cubs fan, I understand what you are saying. Welcome to FulhamUSA! Are there a lot of EPL fans down there?

3. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Mike there are many soccer fans in the Atlanta area, if you are involved in a soocer league you tend to meet lots of EX Pats like myself. There are a couple of places you can go to watch games, one is called the brew house which is actually owned by an Aussie. I have yet to meet another Fulham fan in this area, mostly fans of the bigger clubs, and the Americans who have become involved of course tend to be fans of the big guns because they mostly have seen the big clubs on TV as soccer as taken a foot hold on the media, so you get a lot of Man U, Liverpools Arsenals, and I would imagine we will start to see more and more Chelsea fans as they have now become the team. Todays game is massive all the results went Fulhams way except 1 (Blackburn) but this game today gives us a real chance to open up what might become an unsermountable gap for the teams at the bottom to make up, if we get three points today it means even Crystal Palace will have to get three results to pass us, and the way those teams are playing that might even be hard. Also if EVD is thinking about a move to Man U as the gossip columns are saying in the uk if we lose or draw today, he might go and quite frankly who could blame him, we will be in real trouble if we lose. So lets hope for a good win and the TV jinx to be lifted once and for all.