Goodbye Joe

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by americanmike, Oct 19, 2007.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Joe Torre leaves the Yankees. I will miss him.

LINK

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Even though I am NO Yankees fan by any means, it is still sad to see an era come to an end.

I doubt the Yankees will be the same club for the next few seasons. This has a very "Chelsea-like" feel to it with some people already speculating as to which players will be following Torre out the door.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Joe always had too much class for the Yankees. I'm hoping he just retires and takes it easy.

4. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Although I've been a critic of Joe since 2002 and a Yankee fan for as long as I can remember @ ' 86 or so... I'm happy to see the change, but anxious at the fact that he left.

I'm gonna sound like a dick here... but I hope he gets a decent job, he deserves one, so we can see how good of a manager he really is.

Don't be surprised if the Mets fire Willy and Joe just happens to be retired after next year.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Torre was and is a class act and my hatred for the Yanks decipated (not totally of course) in great part by him (he was a color commentator for the Angels for a couple of seasons, and was pretty good at that also).

Before we throw dirt on the Yankees, let's be realistic. They play in a division with one good team. They haven't traded some of their good young talent (Cano, Cabrera, Hughes, Chamberlin, etc..), and will still spend 70-100 million more than the #2 payroll. They have a lot of player decisions they have to make in the offseason, but they can pay more than anyone else and aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

The Toronto Blue Jays are alot better than given credit for and would make the playoffs, with ease, in ANY other division in baseball... most arguable being the NL east.

Sorry... the Yanks and the Sox are so damned good they make teams like the orioles tampa and the bluejays look terrible. (this is for another thread sorry)

7. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Okay- I love Joe Torre. He did manage my favorite Braves' team (1983 lineup with Dale Murphy, etal). Anyway- he just signed with the Dodgers for three years. Curses! I hate the Dodgers...was really hoping he'd head back south.

Someone take Bobby Cox...please!

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Take Bobby Cox? You guys bored with making the playoffs 36 years in a row?

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Excellent news! Hopefully he can bring some class back to the LA Dodgers who for decades were the best organization in US Sports. Maybe I'll be a fan again

10. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Hatter- you're killing me!

I used to go to Braves games when it was just me, my dad and Ted Turner's ostrich! And we only have one World Series win throughout our "illustrious" history :D! I think Cox is ready to retire...the Braves need new blood.

-T

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

MAn, ONE season and the Dodgers will be back on top... just like the old days with Walter Alston and that italian guy.... Tommy whatzis.

{snark} See Orig post

Fixed yer Link, Mike.

Man... when a code wonking ADMIN cant be arsed to enclose a long link to avoid ballooning the column sideways, what chance do I have to train the REST of you to do it?!!!
    {/snark}