1. DCDare1

DCDare1 New Member

I've scoured over previous posts in hopes to find a suggetion to why Oguchi Onyewu originally turned down his Fulham offer a year ago. I am guessing didn't have the greatest success on loan to Newcastle, which explains why Sammy boy didn't pick him up long term...but wouldn't he satisfy FFC's need for a strong CB? And, being a Yank, I think he would pair nicely with Boca. Thoughts?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

First of all -- HOWDY, DC Dare and welcome to the Insanity!

The consensus [around the ol; FUSA campfire] is that Gooch's agent screwed the pooch from the beginning by sending him to to a ToonTown that was in a complete shambles there to partner up with the worst CB in the EPL -- Bramble. The consensus goes on that he would have been better off on the loan deal with us, playing next to his hero BMcB, the that the agent thought that he'd have better visibility at A BIG CLUB. And he did ... problem was that he didn't play well with Newcastle and his stock plummeted. Smart money says that he needs at least another half-season of regular football in Belgium [and in European competition] to rehabilitate his rep.

For those of us who have been wanting him to sign here for 18 months or so, it was a bitter pill and continues to be.

3. DCDare1

DCDare1 New Member

I appreciate both the welcome and the insight, HatterDon. When first reading the needs for the club this year, I couldn't think of a better fit. Especially with the American presence (esp the venerable McBride) on Fulham...Regardless, now I know the facts. Unfortunately, knowing the facts doesn't make it better.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

although it stinks gooch didnt sign with us then, in retrospect i dont know if it was such a loss. granted playing with bramble was a huge mistake.

but after watching him in the gold cup and throughout the majority of last summers world cup -- i just dont see it. give me demerit or conrad anyday.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Conrad plays great for the Nats, but he is too long in the tooth to be considered as transfer material now.

Gooch and Boca would be a good pairing. As Don points out, that ship has most likely sailed.

DeMerit and Boca are similar, so if DeMerit came, I'd imagine seeing one but not both out there at all times.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

I love Gooch's grit, but I think he suffers from some of the same stuff we criticize Zat Knight for. Specifically, he occasionally makes brain farts that lead to errors, he sometimes blindly hoofs the ball upfield, and (most glaringly) he relies on his height to win high balls sometimes rather than getting in the right spot and jumping for them (which Boca, as we all know, does so very well).

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I think Gooch just needs to realize who he's playing against and use intelligence....when he's playing Borghetti or some other strong target forward...he's pretty good cuz he can use his physicality to throw those types of players around. However...in the Gold Cup we saw him against smaller quicker Latino players...who are going to go to the ground anytime you look at them. Gooch in my opinion has the speed to stay with these guys...he just needs to realize who he can use force against, and who he needs to finess agaisnt.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Well said, d to the o to the double g.

9. DCDave

DCDave Member

Gooch vs. Knight

I totally agree. On the other hand, we have no reason to believe that Knight will ever change or improve, while Gooch still has a chance. He would not be a bad player to get, but at this time, he'd be a squad guy, not a guy you'd play regularly. We need a CB we can play right now in the starting XI.