Gooch to Real Madrid?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Dec 4, 2006.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

as mentioned in a previous thread
    Petty, has his thoughts. But I don't agree with them. I think it would be a good opportunity for Gooch to work his way on to one of the top teams in the world, that play in the Champions League. If I were Gooch I would ask what Real's expectations were of my playing with them, and go from there. I woudn't pass the chance up.

Any more thoughts?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm thinking he could ask David Beckham for advice.

i'mm also thinking Adu should only sign with ManU, should they offer, if they guarantee him 'loan-outs', instead of reserves, for the first couple years.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I think he is good enough to see plenty of playing time at Real. So now I feel like Heather's rubbing salt in the wound of our missed opportunity to get him.

Best XI - Gold Cup
    Best XI - Belgian League (twice)
    Foreign Player of the Year - Belgian League
    Captain - Standard de Liege
    General Bad Ass Defender - Team USA

I think he can handle the competition anywhere. I just wish the better teams had not figured that out yet. Dammit!

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Your point is that you don't see him making the first team at all. I disagree, why not shoot for the stars instead of mediocre.

Adu and Beckham don't really apply here. Beckham is on downward tail of his career. Adu, is completely unproven and is only 17. Not many 17 year olds start for top teir clubs. Gooch is in his mid 20s, why not risk going to a big club now? If doesn't start he can always ask to leave (sign a short-term contract, etc.) To me he really doesn't have that much to lose in this situation and a lot to gain.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You're right, I'm thinking not that he wont start, but that he might not even make the selection list.

All I MEAN by that is he should make sure that he's going to play, wherever, if he signs.

And even if he does make the list, sitting the bench at Real is WORSE than if he was at Fulham... good chance he might never get in.