Gooch talks stall

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MiaFFCmi, Jan 4, 2007.

1. MiaFFCmi

MiaFFCmi New Member

Onyewu back with Liege after talks with Fulham stall

January 4, 2007

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- United States defender Oguchi Onyewu will join Standard Liege's training camp in Portugal after a transfer to Premier League club Fulham broke down.

The 24-year-old Onyewu met with Fulham officials Wednesday but a deal couldn't be reached, Liege said on its Web site.

Belgian daily La Libre said Fulham's offer of $1.97 million was not enough for Onyewu, who was also in talks with AC Milan.

Onyewu has one goal in 17 international appearances. He was ejected at last year's World Cup for a foul that led to the go-ahead penalty kick in Ghana's 2-1 victory, which eliminated the Americans in the first round.

Onyewu, from Olney, Md., has played for Standard Liege in Belgium since 2004.

2. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

£1 million seemed too good to be true, I figured it would take at least twice that. I'd definitely take him for £2 million, however.

3. ffcfan20

ffcfan20 New Member

Just listened to Chris Coleman's comments on the transfers. It sounds like they are close on a transfer fee with Lienge and hope to have the deal done by the middle of the transfer window. For Dempsey, he is 3 US National games short of getting the work permit and he hopes the tribunal will grant it. The deal for Collins John is done but the team that he is going to has not been announced yet.

4. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I'm not surprised that Onyewu talks have stalled. We're on a tight budget and he's already in negotiations with some of the top European clubs. He would feel more at home at Fulham though, I have a feeling that's why he was looking into us. Three Yanks and people can actually speak English. That means he can save money!