Germany V. Argentina [R]

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by americanmike, Jun 30, 2006.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Just going in to a penalty shootout...

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I can't stand Lehman, but darn he's good at reading penalties.

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I'm not his biggest fan either but he did a fantastic job. I wonder what happened at the end when there was a bit of a scuffle.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I have to admit that I'm not sorry the way this turned out, even though I thought that Germany would be knocked out in the first opportunity.

I haven't liked Argentina since the way Rattin and the rest of the thugs played against Brazil and England in 1966. The "hand of God" goal some 20 years later did little to warm me to them.

5. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Did anyone else notice that Podolski did a little "Sieg Heil" nazi arm thrust after scoring? Was that a wave that only looked like something from Germany, c. 1942 or is it just me?

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I saw that but I am guessing that was just a wave. Podolski is from Poland and unlike Klose, his Polish-born teammate, he seems to take a liking to Poland and he really cares about the Polish community and such. I highly doubt he would do something like that to offend the Polish community and tarnish his image.

7. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

That's what I figured. It just looked a little fishy, considering the location of the match, and all the reports of racism in soccer that have been on ESPN of late. Could you believe what the Spanish coach said about Thierry Henry during a training session? Calling him a "black piece of..." (well, you can figure out the rest)? Geez.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Yeah... he should have called him a French POS..

Come on.. lighten up, you are looking for PC, lack of,... overmuch.

Everyone's a bigot in some way, people cant help it and you'll probably realize it once you accept that premise.

9. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Yeah, living in Texas (and having gone to college in Mississippi) I've gotten a pretty good dose of it. I just figured that, on the international stage, you'd see just a teense more restraint. Oh, well, there are uneducated idiots everywhere... especially those damn French. :) Ha ha!

10. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

I was told, however that in my indoor game on Wednesday, I put together a "Lehmann-like performance" in goal; my team has now won two games in a row, thus beginning our first-ever winning streak.
    No, I'm not bragging. Why do you ask? :)