Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SteveM19, Nov 5, 2007.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

$3 a gallon here east of Cleveland. Thanks to all who have had a hand in it. ExxonMobil, short-sighted automakers, kooky dictatorships in the Middle East and Venezuela, short sighted legislators in DC and everywhere else, and people who drive Hummers to satisfy their own Ego. A big upraised middle finger to you all.

40 or so years after initially debating this, and we still don't have a minimum MPG requirement in this country. Again, thank you all very much for nothing.

2. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Indeed. I filled up my tank the other day and it cost me $45. And I only have a little Honda Accord. Luckily the thing gets decent mileage and I only drive 12 miles a day for work.

But this is still crazy. And people laugh when I say my next car will definitely be a hybrid. Time to look to the future folks and not plan on gas prices ever going back down to where they one were. It is far too gone for that to happen again.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and, from what I understand, the major reason for oil being so expensive is none of the usual sources -- war in the middle east, opec flexing its muscles, overuse in China/India -- but the fact that crude oil is now traded on the commodity futures market. Whenever there's obscene amounts of money to be made by people who don't find it, drill it, ship it, refine it, sell it, or buy it, that money WILL be made and we'll all suffer.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Kwitcherbitchin....

Look at it from the bright side.. The Caribou in Anwar are running free, Condo developers and owners in Florida are able to hang onto more of their property values. There's no nasty old platforms spoiling our side of the Gulf.

All brought to you by people who think like this:

- "Care2"

Do I have to draw you people a map?
    ;)

5. pettyfog

Don is absolutely right.. the price has nothing to do with the scarcity or cost of production of crude. Only the SPECULATION on near-future scarcity.

Remember the 'yammering' about 'peak oil'? Hear that now? Naw... the ninnies are silent because in the last year the dreaded 'peak' got pushed forward another twenty years.

But we cant drill for it.

But I'm sure the speculation on a commodity whose production is artificially constrained should be answered with artificial constraints on speculation!

Damned Capitalists!

6. pettyfog

I'm gonna endeavor in this thread to keep a calm equilibrium.

RCL, you're all wet. Don explained oil pricing.
    I explained the price is speculated high due to artificial constraints, NOT because of HOARDING!
    Sorta... there IS hoarding here but the capitalists arent doing it.. the Liberals are doing it.

There IS a MPG floor and the market speaks. Without saying what kind of car you CAN buy.

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well.......................theres always the bus, thats how I roll :banana:

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

See, 'fog. This is where ultimately you lose credibility whenever you turn to politics. Liberals are NOT capitalists? In which country? At what point in history?

Life is just too black and white to you for you to ever understand how politics, governance, and, for that matter, capitalism really works.

9. pettyfog

Related:
    Western appetite for biofuels is causing starvation in the poor world

Now, I hate to say I toldja so... but oh waait.. no I dont!

You guys think I'm here just to annoy Libs and Democrats? My handle and all my dutch-uncle smartass is to encourage you guys to THINK CRITICALLY!!!

Something you were SUPPOSED to learn to do in college, rather than just swallow the local indoctrination!

And that handed out by elitest politico's and their lemming promoter 'journalists' * who DONT regard you as 'equals' at all but someone to be managed and protected.

Now ...HERE'S a 'pop quiz' on critical thinking: read up the thread to my blurb on the Florida Panther situation. Who can tell me what it REALLY says?

* Assuming these assholes are really smarter than a truck driver who likes to read, that is. Which is debatable.

10. pettyfog

Don, WHAT is the hallmark of a hoarder? One who collects or holds, often with no intention of using it.

So WHO is hoarding the oil we have... which COULD do away with the MiddleEast stranglehold on us?
    It AINT the 'evil capitalists'

Now lets see some more of your dissembling...

And oh.... most of you libs prolly already know Brazil has found YET MORE...

11. pettyfog

Fuels technologies

Two new and promising ways to produce hydrogen to replace carbon fuels.. but with caveats.

1. Aluminum pellets plus water = bang!
    Theres a few problem with it, of course. As the article states, the price of Aluminum and costs of recycling it.. plus MY question: So now we not only have to be suspicious about guys transporting fertilizer but also aluminum pellets!!!!

2. Bacteria powered hydrogen cells

Not transportable but MAYBE COULD make wastewater treatment plants MORE power independent. They can already capture and burn methane, if they wanted.

My thoughts: Sugar/corn refineries and biodiesel processing plants.

But... ARe you seriously telling me that this, or the fermentation process doesnt produce significant CO2?

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: RE: Gas Prices

Economists have now developed an index for the real estate market so some want real estate to be traded as a commodity on the futures market. They say that currently the real estate market is controlled willy nilly by everyday homeowners and local agents who dont know anything about economics and markets. Trading on the futures market would allow real estate to be controlled by professionals. Well I'll admit I dont know much about the futures market, but this still sounds like a way for large banks and financial corporations to make tons of money in real estate and leave the average homeowner, and his/her home equity, at the whim of the futures market. If this happens it is something that really would make our founding fathers, the landed ones at least, roll over in their graves.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm with you, mo:

"They say that currently the real estate market is controlled willy nilly by everyday homeowners and local agents "

Back when I went to school, this "willy nilly control" was called capitalism. The ONLY reason economists want this is that there's a lot of easy money to be made with no work expended.

14. pettyfog

And So am I... it's a perversion of the market.

Sorta like speculation in National Currencies. Right, Don?

;)

Except I dont think it's going to work in real estate.

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

$4.00 / gallon within San Francisco proper.

Sigh...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." A. E.

16. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

About $3.30 in upstate NY. People should stop complaining, use public transportation, buy smaller ( or more efficient vehicles), carpool etc... We are the ones to blame. Stop buying the product and the price goes down, supply and demand. We are still fortunate even at these prices. Wonder how much it would be to fill a large SUV in London these days?

17. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

3.50 and fluxuating on LI, NY...

Don't forget that oil is traded in dollars.... dollars are worth crap.... the lower the dollar goes the higher oil prices get.

I bet people who hold Euro can care less about the fluxuating oil prices... those holding the Pound might be a bit pissed off too.

I agree market speculation has contributed, I'm also aware that Iraq is not producing near capacity, so the supply is cut a bit from where it would have been sans military conflict.

Whatever the case is... its not going to get better... best case scenario is that it calms down... drops 15% and we are all thankful.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

$2.89 seems to be about usual for regular here. According to NPR yesterday, the cheapest gas is in Tulsa, OK, and the most expensive [this is a recording] is in San Francisco.

19. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I hear thats because of the flaming Tiger pits they plan to build around exhibits at the local zoo.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

flaming? In San Francisco? Nah