Galaxy: Gullit quits, Lalas booted

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Aug 12, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was wondering if anyone was going to post this. I saw the link this morning. I don't know what Gullit expected, but I'm sure he wasn't getting it.

MLS must be scared with both LA teams and NYRB playing mid-pack football.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

The inevitable quitter meets the in denial redhead.

4. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

It looks like my Quakes were the straw(s) that broke the Galaxatives back...
    So much for "Sexy" football... :3d laughing:

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

San Kose'! San Kose'! San Kose'!

Guess I better learn it,.............. not a fan of the blue though.

LA Galaxy's happenings and how they register on the international footy world geigermometer..........a blip.

6. pettyfog

Even though they just signed Eddie Lewis? Instead of Corey Gibb?
    Passing up overrated Corey, though, was a sign that LA just might be getting their heads together.

A Rumor.. just a rumor... that Lewis MIGHT be traded to San Jose though.

7. pettyfog

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: LAG: Arena In?

I watched the last hour of the Chivas v. Galaxy match, and the camera was on Arena more than it's on Eva Longoria at a SA Spurs match. According to Harkes, the job was always Arena's to take.

Fog: they also made it sound as if the Lewis transfer wasn't a sure thing, even though Lewis's site has the transfer having already occurred. Hmmm.

9. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I think he would be better than Gullit. At least he understands the MLS setup and doesn't have huge expectations. I think Ruud came in to it thinking he was managing a Barcelona or even a Fenerbache.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

one of the maddening things about the MLS for foreign managers and sponsors is the fact that a team that was dominant for two straight seasons can still go into the dumper the third season. There's no haves or have nots in the MLS. Columbus couldn't find their assess with a Michelin guide and a kleiglight the last two seasons, but have kicked some serious ass. Meantime, Neither LA team, nor NYRB, nor Chicago have a dynasty.

Personally, I like it. I just wish I had a home town team to support.

11. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Ironically, watching this As the MLS Turns mess, I find myself rather relieved that we don't have one.

Good to see Lalas and his emperor's new clothes given a healthy dose of reality and a swift boot to the....

Arena though? Seems like he just took over at NY (didn't realize he'd left actually), so if he couldn't cut it there, why would anyone be excited at the prospect of him in LA? Ironically, the coaches MLS has managed to develop/procure has been the most impressive thing about the league to me so far. Recycling Bruce runs contrary to that.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Was south of the border when this happened and I guess my response is what took so long? As a GM Lalas was a pretty good guitar player and if anyone has ever heard him play guitar.....The first time Ruud traveled on a coach flight to Chicago he was plotting his exit. Arena? Unless he can put on a pair of boots and play defense it won't matter.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

14. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

If Arena turns the Galaxy into a power again - and he probably will - I'm going to scream so loud that the impatience and short-sightedness of the Red Bulls organization has screwed the team once again!

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

How bad is it for MLS that the franchises in LA and NY are as inept as they are?

16. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Ha! I loved Lalas as a player but hated him in any sort of management role in soccer.

17. pettyfog

I've written before.. somewhere in the murky pasts of net forums... that it {building a winning franchise} aint as easy as it looks. If anyone should have been able to excel at it, you'd put your money on Lamar Hunt's group.

Yet look at his clubs: KC {former}, Columbus and Dallas. For that matter the Chiefs. All have seen mixed results and for somewhat the same reason.

Staying with players and coaches due to local/'family' loyalties for too long. This ALSO applies to FFC. of course.

To win you need the 'killer instinct', leavened with a degree of that loyalty. As a model of that, you need look no further than the Kraft teams. When the Pats or Rev's decide they can do better than a player or coach they already have, he's given a nice handshake and shown the door.

The latest example being Pat Noonan. As a Crew fan, I hope they're wrong about him but it remains to be seen... they usually arent wrong.

Does anyone think Tom Brady is going to retire from the Pat's?

In the case of the Crew, you could point out Jeff Cunningham as an excetion to that 'our family loyalty' rule. Or Not. It's worth noting there never was even a whisper of the Rev's considering Cunningham. And his vagabond ways since leaving the Crew... no coach has wept when he left.

To me that was an obvious decision and the right decision. Just like Corey Dillon being let go by the Bengals to the Pats. And where is he now?

18. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am hoping that Crew management saw Pat Noonan as a relatively inexpensive but highly experienced spare part. He seems more like depth for a team that believes it is already headed for the playoffs more than an addition aimed at giving the Crew the need extra punch to get there. If Guille, Rogers, Moreno or Ekpo need rest or miss a few games due to injury Noonan can step in and fill any of their roles.

Any sport that has a hard salary cap will make managers that can consistently spot and sign cheap talent look like a genius. In most professional sports if you take a flyer on a mid-price talent and miss once or twice. It may hurt the team a little but in the MLS missing on one or two mid-priced talents can turn a good team into a bad team quickly. The Galaxys defense is a prime example.