Fulham @ Wigan

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Nov 6, 2009.

1. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I know we lamented EJ's death already on this thread, but seriously where was he and/or Elm?

Oh, according to Elm's blog he and EJ were training on Saturday for monday's reserve game against Chelsea.

Really odd Roy didn't have a striker on the bench, but maybe thought it better they play 90 on monday against a good reserve opponent rather than 10 (if that) against a mediocre side?

AGAIN, A FULHAM BEAT REPORTER WOULD BE NICE!

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I doubt Elm plays much. He was a last minute signing to add numbers. Of he gets any time, its going to be because we have the worlds worst injury crisis.

I wouldve liked to of seen Riise out there. I like the way he plays and he couldve done well today. He does pretty damn well in Europe which is why I'm surprised he doesn't play in the league much.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

EJ has had a series of good reserve performances, had a productive summer pre-season, and has had one CC start -- 85 minutes of a draw at Man City -- and two sub appearances in the league [for maybe 25 minutes total]. I also think it's a bit too early to be announcing a death sentence on EJ, but today's lineup was a stunner. When you have healthy strikers on your first string squad, and you're playing an eminately beatable opponent, why are you saving them for a Monday reserve match?

I agree with you, timmyg; certainly there is at least ONE Fulham beat writer. Isn't there?

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I thought a point was fair. Both keepers made some game-changing saves. Dempsey was our best field player, by far.

I too was surprised about the lack of striker cover on the bench. Even a Seoul sighting would've been better than what we had. Perhaps, after Rome, Roy felt it more important that we not lose than that we win?

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

It was a rough day for internet viewing. I keep swearing off doing it, but then we play an early game. Oh well, GJ wasn't bad.

I'll always take a point on the road given the negative style we play away from home. Was pretty cool to see Dempsey take a penalty in that situation. He's come quite a ways to have garnered that much respect from Roy and the team.

Sounded like the Aussie was sensational.

Looking forward to Brum after the int'l break. Is the WC settled outside of the 8 Euro teams? If so, I'd guess these will just be friendlies for the rest. Haven't even looked if the US is playing anyone.

6. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we're auditioning replacements for Gooch and Charlie and we're still trying to find a left back and a centermid partner for Bradley, so yeah, I think the matches agains Slovakia nd Denmark are a bit important.

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

FulhamAg. WC spots still up for grabs in Europe and Africa, as well as the Costa Rica - Uraguay matchup. I don't recall if Asia is complete yet.

For the USMNT, friendlies is all we have, and with the recent injuries we've had, we need to get the full use out of each one in order to get ready for South Africa.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Thanks for the highlights -- I did not realize how much of a stud Schwarzer was yesterday. He absolutely stole that point for us.

Kirkland was no slouch yesterday either. It's not like I see a lot of Wigan games, but he always seems to deliver the goods when I see him. I imagine there's a reason why he is not in Capello' s sights. That one off Rodallega from 20 yards or so is save of the year material for me.

10. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

[​IMG]

It's the hat. Fabio keeps mistaking him for a cricketer.

11. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I was not able to watch this match till last night and I had to avoid this site, FSC and Sky to make sure I didnt spoil it.

All in all - not a bad showing considering. I would have liked to see a win against an inconsistent Wigan, but it wasnt all that long ago that we were hoping for our first away win so I will take it.

I was nervous with demps penalty, but it was fine. Hopefully he put it where he did as a reaction to the keeper.