Fulham vs Reading

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Apr 13, 2007.

1. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I know everyone has been caught up in the Coleman sacking hubbub, but there is a match tomorrow. Honestly, I dont know what to expect. But I know what I want to see: heart, grit, and determination. I dont think Fulham has been playing with any of those lately, or at least not to the level that renders victories. I also want to see the return of Claus - enough of this Davies/Smertin/Diop (and even Brown to some extent) nonscoring nonsense. Here's my lineup (pardon if I include someone injured, I've lost track really):

Niemi
    Liam--Boca--Christanval--QQQ
    Rout--Jensen--Brown--Demp
    McBride--Aeroplane

Bench:
    Backup Keeper
    Volzy
    Pearce
    Radz
    Diop

2. psand22

psand22 Member

You've got it right - TimmyG. We've got to get that chip back on our shoulders and come out and play with heart. I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow. I can only hope we give it a solid effort - Win, Lose, or Draw.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I don't think anyone can no what sort of team Sanchez will put out. I assume he's been watching Fulham game tapes non stop for the last three days.

Most important thing is just to put some belief and spark in the side for Saturday.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

-- Banks

Wilson -- Moore -- J. Charlton -- Cohen

---- Hunt -- Haynes -- R. Charlton ----

---- Greaves -- Hurst -- Peters ----

I like us 4-2 after extra time. [and yes, Brits, I know that wasn't the exact lineup for the WG match in '66 but it would have been If I had picked it].

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Good news for Fulham's defenders:

Reading's Lita has been hit with a 3 match ban and is ineligible and Sidwell will not play according to Coppell.

Now, get a point (or three)!!!!!!

6. Deucefan

Deucefan New Member

Dempsey should really get his first game tomorrow.

7. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

For this game, all I really care about is whether Fulham will try to get the three points. Notice how I said try. The past few games were so poor if only because the team didn't look to try and win right from the beginning. Coleman may still have a job if they were inspired from the get-go, right when the whistle is blown.

So goal #1 is to come out strong and play 90 minutes strong.

Goal #2 should be to score some goals and win the game, obviously. I don't know how, but I sincerely hope Fulham improves their passing and their general attack near the box. There have been times the team just looks lost once they finally get the ball in that final 18 yard area; and that's clearly an issue. Someone needs to step up. Radz, Routledge, Davies, Smertin, Brown, Dempsey, Pettyfog, anyone, I don't care who. Somebody needs to take control on attack and force the issue.

COYW!

8. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I'm ready for whatever is to come. I just got a card in the mail with pics that my girl friend took while I was at the Fulham Bolton game in 2005 (2-1 win.) Everyone signed the pics and such. Wish i could read the signatures! lol it doesn't matter though.

2-1 Us. We will win this. I can just feel it.

Also, why is this not at the top of the message board? This is the offcial Fulham vs. Reading thread.

9. ormondroyd

ormondroyd New Member

Beautiful day here in Reading. The sun is shining on the righteous, and will give us a 1-0 win with a late offside winner, like last time. :0)

(maybe)

10. krhimself

krhimself New Member

You got the score right Ormondroyd... just to the wrong team.

We are in some deep doo-doo.

11. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Doo-doo is right...

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Let's see what the "New Look Fulham" looked like in Lawrie's first game as saviour!

1. HH -- who we have to finally admit is NOT a Prem-level player is preferred to Montella up front.

2. Pearcey is on the pitch shortly after messing his foot up against Pompey -- for 20 minutes or so.

3. No Dempsey until 60+ minutes.

4. No Montella until 70+ minutes.

Couldn't we have had this exact same result without firing Cookie? There are four matches left. Let's see what The Temp can do that Cookie DIDN'T do.

I love the club, the Cottage, and the players in Black and White. I'm not too bloody sure about the board though.

One thing else didn't change: The traveling supporters were loud and clear all game. All of us stuck here in the States have reason to be proud of the Fulham Road Kings.

COYW!!!

13. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Disappointing result needless to say. The defending the first half left a lot to be desired. The goal was a direct result of Bocanegra's poor clearance.

Fulham had some chances and Papa's disallowed goal should have counted as replays showed he was clearly onsides. The team had a few more chances, but all in all, it looked like the same Fulham squad that has been struggling this campaign.

It is clear to me that our midfield is weak in the sense that we played long ball all day long bypassing the midfield. It is my belief that a lack of creative flair in the midfield is making it very difficult to get the strikers involved and get them scoring chances. Unfortunately, this is NOT a quick fix.

Fulham has four tough matches remaining and they are only three points clear of the drop zone. Next week at home against Blackburn will be our season. If we can win, we stay up. If not, I fear.

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Ouch, that sucked.

First off, Diop was NOT offside. We had damn near every call, every break go against us all day. Nothing doing.

Everything about the team is unnatural at the moment. Its like they go to do something but they've forgotten how. They try and push through the motions but its not quite right and as a result every thing that they do is a tremendous up hill struggle.

Its like when your golf swing goes away, you have no idea why and you try every thing possible to find it again, remember all your old secrets and tips but nothing works. Everything forced and unnatural then one day it just comes back.

15. BC

BC New Member

Agreed Spencer. We are in a funk and I'm not sure how we'll get out. Maybe another week with Sanchez's guidance can get us back in form. I'm getting very nervous now. We're 3 points shy of the drop zone with tough matches coming up. We won't beat Liverpool or Arsenal. Our best chances will be Blackburn and 'Boro and neither of those will be an easy match.

Today's match was unfortunate. As has been said above, the replays clearly showed Diop onside. It should have been 1-1. We had some great chances (e.g.- Brown hitting the crossbar) but just couldn't capitalize.

I think we need a big overhaul everywhere. Our defence is AWFUL. Our midfield can't control the game. Our strikers (McBride that is) are the best aspect of the team but if they don't get proper service from a controlling midfield, they can't do much. We just have to stay up and then hopefully we can restructure our squad with some new blood--a few quality defenders would be my first purchase.

16. sfm

sfm Member

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation why Montella has still not started in the League? Is it entirely due to his groin injury or is there another factor at work, perhaps related to his loan from AS Roma? One would otherwise think he has gained match fitness following the post Spurs ban. Having watched Helguson all season, we all know he is pants so the Gaffer can be excused for not knowing prior. Perhaps I am being over-sensitive following the discussion of Legwinski having been frozen out of matches & training last season and would hate to think the same is happening with Montella. Gentleman Jim said he went straight off the pitch after the whistle before the Gaffer had a word and he returned to commend the away support suggesting he is frustrated over something (injury, poor midfield service, lack of playing time). Any thoughts what may be going on?

17. Wockenfuss

Wockenfuss New Member

Was at reading yesterday. A few observations.

Must say that Quedrue had as bad a game as I have seen anyone have this year for Fulham.

Glad to see Diop on for the full game. I really think he is the only player from this squad with the talent to play for a top 10 side.

Why Helguson and McBride? Redundant, and Helguson is not Premiership class.

Routledge was extremely poor, and has never impressed me. He has zero touch with the ball.

While Fulham was unfortunate to not get a point, it is just obvious that there is a serious lack of talent. Michael Brown, Simon Davies, Helguson, Pearce, and even (dare I say it on this board) McBride. Good people, hard workers, but short on talent. The side needs a clean out.

Thought Dempsey looked decent.

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ah-HA!

Exactly the point! Sorry, Don.. but you dont get it. It's one thing for the team to have affection for Cookie, it's another for CC to be able to motivate them.

If the team is constantly thinking about what THEY are doing wrong, they wont be able to solve it. Note time and again, when a team reverses a slump, you'll hear the players say they decided to just go out and play.
    You cannot blame this on the players and you cannot seriously think that CC would yet again pull them out of it.

This is exactly like what's happened in other pro sports, and a change was needed. There are managers who seem to have a knack for certain aspects of the art, and while Sanchez certainly hasnt proven to be good for any team in the long term... I have to say he seems to have mastered the 'Turnaround'.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm a little bit surprised by this, if only because from what I've seen lately, Davies has been one of the few (only?) guys playing with any spark.

You guys in the stands sounded great. You deserve much credit for being so vocal. :banana:

20. WHITEwitch1

WHITEwitch1 New Member

Fear not - they definitely looked a bit more composed and the confidence was growing all through the game.

You will definitely see some changes for next Saturday when Sanchez has had another week to look at them.

By the bye Blackburn played in the semi final of the cup this weekend and have to make up the game on Wednesday against Watford so at last we get a small break in our bad luck.

I have every faith in Sanchez - a few more years experience than we have had for a while and a real talent for getting the most out of players. If he stays we will see more of Dempsey next season for sure and I think he will get the best out of Heidar who has gone downhill since he left Adie Boothroyd. Who knows he may even know how to use CJ - okay now I'm in fantasy land.

Mikeys arm is fractured in several places but didn't put him off his game - are all yanks this insane ???? or is it just Mikey ?????

Witchypoo