Fulham vs. Nottingham Forest

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Dec 5, 2023.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham hosts Nottingham Forest on Wednesday with kickoff at 2:30pm EST. The match will be on USA Network.

On paper, Fulham should win this one. Fulham has an almost perfect record against teams currently 12th or lower while just a measly 2 points against teams in 11th or above. Forest currently sit two points behind Fulham in 15th having lost three straight matches by a one goal margin. They have had some big wins against Aston Villa and Chelsea. Fortunately for Fulham they will be without Awoniyi who is recovering from injury.

Fulham will still be without Diop and Traore. I'd like to see a few changes to the lineup from the last match. I wonder if it is time to have Tosin pair up with Bassey to see if that improves the defense that has given up nine goals in the past three games. I'd also like to see Lukic rather than Reed and Cairney rather than Pereira start. I also think Silva should be willing to bring on DeCordova-Reid as a sub for Raul especially if Fulham has a lead late in the match.

Fulham has finally started scoring, now they just need to stop the other team from banging in candidates for goal of the month.

nevzter likes this.
  2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

@MicahMan, getting your wish w/Tosin & Bassey. Easing Kenny back in and starting Castagne instead on the right. Willian back in for Wilson.

Bad news for USMNT fans as Turner is going to need the first choice GK to screw up before he gets another chance. Horvath needs to go somewhere in Jan as 3rd stringers are useless.

EDIT; Woooo-Hooooo, the lads took the heartbreaker at Anfield as a confidence booster. 5-0??? Can’t wait to see the replay..CUE IT JAMES!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  3. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

We needed the tonic of playing Forest. So did Jimenez. This did wonders for our goal difference. :)

MicahMan and nevzter like this.
  4. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

It was like playing in the Championship today. Total domination.

Forest had one single shot on goal which occurred in the 81st minute and had an xG of 0.07. The back line stepped up when it had to (the 3 or 4 times when Forest actually made it to Fulham’s box) and we got the first clean sheet since September.

Fulham were moving and passing with a purpose today - frequently looking to attack. And you know what? They actually scored… a bunch. I think the announcer said that the last time Fulham scored at least three goals in three consecutive league matches was 1966. I can only hope that they continue this downhill, attack minded strategy because, quite honestly, there was a time recently when I wasn’t enjoying watching the team in the least.

With six matches still to go in December, I’m glad that Marco was able to sub out some regulars though I still think he could have done it a little earlier.

Huzzah!

MicahMan likes this.
  5. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Highlights that are a joy to watch!

I don't know the last time Fulham had a win by this margin in the Premier League, I'm sure it was before I started following them. I was also thrilled to see Raul get a brace - especially that second goal that was clearly from someone who wasn't thinking too hard about scoring, it was just happening. Iwobi is the engine behind Fulham's goal resurgence and it just seems to be getting better.

The lineup changes were appreciated. Tosin and Bassey worked well together and although Cairney came on for Reed rather than Pereira it was still a step up over Reed. Given Tete's injury history it was also a good choice to bring in Castagne. With six(!) more matches to go in December Fulham will need to rotate through players. I'm most worried about Robinson getting driven to hard, but it is nice the team has some options at most positions.

A great night for Fulham and a wonderful response to the Liverpool match.

6. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I couldn't leave work to watch it and my jaw dropped when I saw the score this evening. Good stuff.

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

@MicahMan That was our biggest win since we beat Norwich 5-0 in 2012 (which was on opening day?)

Not sure what else to say besides I am so happy for Raul. That second goal wow I dont recall such confident, nonchalant f-yoo energy since like Berbatov?

MicahMan and nevzter like this.
  8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Good call on the Berbatov-esque finish. Hope that swagger builds and builds. COYW!!!