Fulham vs. Millwall

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Feb 7, 2022.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham hosts Millwall on Tuesday with kickoff at 2:45 EST. The match will be available on FFCTV.

When Fulham went to the Den back in August they were without Wilson due to his red card, but Fulham still dominated the match. However, Fulham had trouble putting the ball into the net so while the Whites got the win the 1-2 scoreline was a little tighter than it should have been. Wilson and the rest of the front line should be available for this one. If I had to guess, I'd say that the lineup will be very similar to what we saw against Man City. I'd like to see Cairney in place of Chalobah and I won't be surprised if Robinson comes in for Bryan. Regardless of who starts, Fulham should be able to put out an even stronger lineup than what Millwall faced in August.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

@jumpkutz…:Cue It James!!!!!

nevzter, stlouisbrad and BarryWhite like this.
  3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Seems like a fairly comfortable victory. Now Fulham are 9 points clear of 3rd place (though that may change tomorrow). I'm trying not to get used to it or expect it. I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the matches.

Quick poll: Mitrovic over/under 42 goals?

nevzter, BarryWhite and stlouisbrad like this.
  4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Over!!

nevzter, BarryWhite and stlouisbrad like this.
  5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I’m almost as excited about the clean sheet as I am the three goals.

7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The highlights:

What the highlights do not show is the minute of applause given at the 11 minute mark for Paul Parish (and credit to the traveling Millwall fans for joining in the tribute regardless of their reputation) or the extended time the team spent down at the Hammersmith End after the match hugging and sharing words of encouragement with the Parish family.

Eh.... Yes, Fulham was the better team, but Millwall is no Manchester City and could not make Fulham pay for their mistakes. There were a number of uncomfortable moments in the match that Millwall did not capitalize on. This was not a good night for Robinson who put Fulham in a pickle a couple times with intercepted passes and never could get much going offensively. Robinson's poor play seemed to rattle Ream who struggled a bit early on but then got back to being the reliable defender we're used to.

I don't remember Fulham threatening much prior to the first goal and then BAM! - Williams was in behind the Millwall defense and Mitrovic slotted in the cross. Sadly a slight deflection off a Millwall defender prevented Williams from getting official credit for the assist, but it did make me appreciate Mitro's finishing quality even more. Williams look good most of the time, except for some questionable decisions when he was in the Fulham six yard box. Fortunately Millwall couldn't take advantage of those errors or his bad turnover late on that was shown in the highlights.

With the advantage of a one-goal lead Fulham looked much better going forward and another goal felt inevitable - and then it happened after it seemed like half the squad had an excellent shot on goal before Mitrovic put away his second. Millwall's second half subs improved their play and it seemed like it could easily be 2-1 toward the end of the match. DeCordova-Reid's goal from a really well timed Carvalho pass (or maybe it was a shot?) ended any anxious feelings.

The clean sheet was great since there haven't been many since November. It would be nice to get another five in a row like Fulham did back then. The other thing I liked about this match is that it confirmed Carvalho is here to play regardless of how things shook out with Liverpool. I worried he might not want to give his best or his focus might be off, but he's looked very good against both Manchester City and Millwall. Fulham probably won't be able to keep him, but he'll do what he can to get Fulham to the Premier League.

Two humorous items from this one. First, prior to the last goal Boa Morte volleyed a ball back on field that was heading out of play and Millwall's manager, Gary Rowett, went absolutely bonkers. He was livid and kept fighting with Boa Morte and Silva long after the ball was in play. While Rowett had his little fit Fulham went down and scored its third and he never even saw what happened. GJ said "You can go home now Gary" after all that. Second, at some point in the night Mitrovic was so manhandled that he tore the top of his shirt. However, it was so symmetrical and well placed it looked like he did it intentionally like he was getting ready to front an 80's hair band. Mitro wore it so well maybe Fulham should go with this look for their kit next year.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    SoCalJoe and BarryWhite like this.
  8. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Happy with the win but since I only saw the highlights I have to ask if the overall defending was as frightening as the highlights? Looked like Milwall could of had 2 or 3 with better finishing.

9. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

The defending was not good. We need to do better against better teams. The lads seemed...I don't know, distracted? Exhausted? It showed in Wilson's passing, own-half giveaways, rocky ball control from all but Carvalho. It was an off night, but we still won, and that's what good teams do; win when things aren't going well. The good news is they get a few needed days to recover before going to Hull.

Gary Rowett's antics! :) Such a putz. Loved Mitro's torn shirt look; I expect the shirt to show up at a charity auction.

SoCalJoe, BarryWhite and MicahMan like this.
  10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I continue to enjoy the lack of satisfaction with a 3-0 victory. How times have changed ... sort of. :)

11. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Well spotted. I'm guilty.

Also, does anyone else think that Anthony Knockaert looks a lot like Frenchie from The Boys?

HatterDon and nevzter like this.