Fulham vs Aston Villa

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by ChicagoTom, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Fulham plays host to Aston Villa on Wednesday. A win would pull them equal on points with the Villians. Boca, Bouba Diop and Rehman are back after suspension. Will Jensen get a start? Will Knight start in the back? Will the 4-5-1 be used again? Who do you think should start? Predicitions, etc? One side note, Jloyd Samuel is out of this match with a one match suspension for bookable offenses.

2. Bee

Bee New Member

I'm still fuming over the officiating against Villa last match out, when LBM played so spectacularly up front and we were denied a very blatant penalty on a missed handball.

I'd like to see a bit of a shakeup up front as Radz is looking cold and Cole is looking lost...

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I still want to see Cole in there. I think McBride might deserve a runout in this match. If not in the starting XI, then at least coming off the bench. I do not think Cookie is too happy with CJ's yellow card for taking his shirt off after his goal.

4. Bee

Bee New Member

With Cole, at least lately, it seems as though he is much more valuable as a name than as a player. I didn't see the Brummie match but as far as the last few fixtures I've seen him in he looks like he couldn't find the goal with a map and somebody pushing. Fulham have been so damn poor in keeping the ball in the attacking 1/3rd and its partly because Cole looks like he's off in space whenever he gets possession.

I don't think McBride is the answer but I would like to see some real shakeup up front, utilize LBM a bit more attacking - I guess with Cole because he is class and I know that he will snap to form at some point.

I'm much more concerned in defense... Volz looks overmatched and THANK CHRIST Boca will be back because the Cup tie was painful to watch.

With regards to CJ's yellow card, I don't think Cookie was happy either, but it was such a fine show of genuine emotion that I think it will pass

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Fulham should win this match.Fulham are doing well in getting results but, this is the match where they need to prove that they are not just a lucky team down by the river.Really Fulham need to beat Villa by 2+ goals.They have been getting lucky they need a match to really build that confidence going to Liverpool. My team.

-------Volz-----------------------Goma--------------Boca--------Rosenior------

-------Radz----------------------Clark--------Diop-----------------Boa Morte---

--------------------------------John--------------Cole-----------------------------

Rosenior did really well against Derby. He should start. Boca has not been given a chance to prove that hes good in Central defense.He does well with the US and is better than Knight.John needs to start. He has been on the bench mostly all season. When Fulham play a 4-4-2 they do well they should go back to a 4-4-2.Jensen is out so Clark should start. Radz is the only player that can play on the right he should start.The team against Derby was horrible. The 4-5-1 is bad. I mean they had Pembridge,Legwinski and Clark in the same midfield.A 4-4-2 is much better.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am not sure about Goma. He looked a little lost out there on Saturday against Derby. He seems to be lacking some fitness as well. I want to see Zesh Rehman in there.

I also think Rosenior proved he could play on the left against Derby. Perhaps his play will prompt Cookie to switch Boca to the middle of the defense. He deserves a shot there at least. After all, he was brought in here to play the center of defense and has not yet. We need to see if he can cut it there in the Premiership.

I want McBride to play in the 4-4-2 with Cole. Unfortunately, I think Cookie will stay with the 4-5-1 and sit back. Who knows though. You never really can tell with Fulham what they are gonna do.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I do agree with this assessment partially. As I have watched Andy Cole over the past couple years, I have learned he is not the flashiest player on the pitch. It really bothers me sometimes watching him play as he seemingly stands around all the time and just waits for the ball. I wish he did more in terms of back tracking and helping in defense, but that is not the kind of player he is.

Like a lot of strikers like Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Alan Shearer and James Beattie, these guys disappear for minutes in a game, but when you think they are out of the game, BOOM...they score a goal.

As I said, I wish Cole was more energetic and moved around the field more, but he does not. For someone with as prolific of a goal scoring record as he does, his methods have worked well over the years. He is getting older, but he is still wise. I hope and wish Collins John can learn a few things from Andy Cole over this season and the next. It could really help his progress.

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

John is a good player he just dosent start. Its because of that 4-5-1.If John does start hes on the right and Malbranque in the middle of the midfield.The 4-5-1 is just bad. John needs to start as a forward. Not on the right but, a forward.Boca should start in central defense. Knight is not a Premiership defender.Boca is better than Knight and Rosenior can play at LB.Goma did not play all that well against Derby. It was his first game in like 3 months.He needs to start a couple of games if he still does not do well then they would have to start Knight.

9. Bee

Bee New Member

That doesnt necessarially bother me - he's a striker, pure and simple. My problem with him is that when he does get the ball in relatively open field, he seems to be so predictable about his next move. Move it directly forward, defenders be damned, take a wild shot that will likely bounce off an opposition player or sail into the stands. I find myself praying that the only touches he gets are on breakaways against a sole defender, where he is deadly. In a scramble at the edge of the penalty area, whilst trying to set up a sustained attack in the opposition's third, whenever he touches it, I know that the attack is nearly over - be it with the occassional goal or the much too frequent loss of possession, dumbfounded look and subsequent clearance.

I'm not asking him to be Cristiano Ronaldo or even Steed, but something a bit less predictable would be a pleasant suprise

With all due respect to Cookie's boys, there is quite a difference in those surrounding Mr. Cole now versus the early days when he was lighting up the score sheets :)

Rereading this, it sounds as though I hate the guy - its not that at all. I'd just like to see him have some support because at this point he is not the man to carry Fulham up front and alone.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think this can be accredited to Cole's displeasure or inability to be effective in the 4-5-1. He just does not seem like a striker who can fend for himself up there. He needs another attacker up there with him trying to win balls, make passes and create problems for the defense.

I think Andy Cole works best in the 4-4-2 formation. While he is not perfect, he does have some ability on the pitch.

Bee, by no means do I think you dislike the guy. It is interesting reading your posts as I have sometimes thought the same things about him. I thought I was the only one. All in all, I am glad he is on our team. We need him this season.

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I just took a look at the team sheet on the Official Site and I don't see Bocanegra's name!!??

12. americanmike

Its Official - we are in a 4-5-1 formation!

13. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

where is there internet audio for this game? I've tried clicking the BBC link on the fulham main page but it says that FA Cup games are blocked in the states. But this isn't an FA cup game

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

No Boca Goma on the bench. John scores but, still on the bench. The 4-5-1.Knight and Rehman in the same Central defense.This team could lose by 4 goals.Pembridge starts. Clark starts. Fulham probably have the slowest team that has played in this midweek.

15. americanmike

Try our link on the index page of fulhamUSA

16. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

yeah i'm dumb...totally skipped the link on the front page

17. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Is it me, or is this maybe the most boring half of football anyone has ever listened to

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think the Brum League Cup match in November might have been worse. I honestly almost feel asleep that day listening while at work.

19. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Effin' Cole missed a damn penalty! That sucks!!!!

20. americanmike

Shit - Come on Fulham!!