Fulham v West Ham, Jol's Last Stand??

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Jan 28, 2013.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Quick turnaround to what could end up being the most important fixture on the schedule. Win and Fulham jumps above Spam and is right with that group of teams around 10th/11th place. Lose and the message will be sent out loud and clear that a relegation fight is at hand. Furthermore, a bad loss could mean the end of Martin Jol's tenure. Fat Sam's teams get results, and unless the lads are ready to go this won't end well. A few things I'm hoping for;

• Need our fans BADLY to lift the team. Unfortunately, there will probably be bunch of fans just waiting to turn on MJ and the squad. The team needs to play well from the start and give the home fans something to cheer about, since you know the drunken lot from East London will be there in full voice.

• Need to start Hugo :shock: No I don't think he has been any good this season. However, we need someone to run in and behind the back four to create space for Berba and Ruiz to run into, and he is the best choice for that. Tell him to run his socks off and then bring in Petric.

• Berba needs a mirror and for someone to get in his face. No doubt in my mind Danny Murphy would not have tolerated some of his antics, and would have pulled him to the side and talked with him. Berba is our best player. Now we need him to be a LEADER. That means he encourages and communicates with his teammates, not flail his arms and whine. He needs to put in a shift, stop acting like he's playing with a bunch of chumps. If he plays as hard as he can, he will find the back of the net, and if he finds the back of the net he will play harder. This ain't brain surgery, he's going to be the most talented player on the pitch Wed. but he still needs to put in max effort.

Prediction; There is a better chance of the team drawing or losing, and the performances of the last 16+ matches has zapped confidence in Jol to motivate and man manage, but I'm going with a 2-1 win for no good reason, other than I'm hoping my team finds a way to get the 3 points it desperately needs.

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I'm doubtful whether MAF will fire Jol regardless of results. Maybe if we lose the next 3 or 4 straight. Martin Jol at Fulham is Rasputin.

I predict Jol sends the team out with the same tactics, we manage an ugly 1-1 draw and we limp forward with no clear idea whether we're going up or down. Fans stay restless, Berbatov continues to do whatever the hell he wants, Jol remains at the helm, and worse, he keeps forcing his "system" onto a demoralized team ill equipped to execute it.

I just want Jol to send the team out playing a style that better suits the players we have and I want to see them put up a fight. The status quo deflates the team and they've shown they have no confidence in it and will fold like a cheap tent at the first sign of adversity. Doubt Jol makes any significant changes in a short week though.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

We never do well against West Ham so I'm scared as hell over this one. Please someone step up and put an end to the unraveling.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I also predict a 2-1 victory and I have no good reason for it. I posited over on Friend of Fulham that the ideal Wednesday for me would be that victory and Jol being fired. If you'd like to see a huge dish of BBQ'd Hatter, check it out over there.

I think that time is running out on Jol. MAF doesn't like prolonged losses of form. That's what got Sanchez the bounce and also Cookie. Fulham have less spirit and cohesion than even under Sanchez, so I think he's gone before the season ends. The best lineup feature Berbatov on the bench, but I'll concede that this isn't going to happen. West Ham is also going through a patch of poor form. If we attack on the wings and penetrate up the middle -- calm down, Mo -- we can tear them apart.

I'm fairly sure that we'll be able to have a View this time around.

5. WhitesBhoyMIA

WhitesBhoyMIA New Member

Too early. But Jol is certainly on the clock.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Two locked threads in a day - stand up and be accounted for, Mr. HD. Is that a personal record?

Oh yeah, and Fulham will lose to West Ham. And that's my positive speaking right now...

7. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    West Ham's form has been even worse than ours in the EPL Form Guide, they've also only earned a measly one point in their last six away matches (a 0-0 draw to West Brom). They're in more disarray than we are, so I'll say a 1-0 victory. However, I wouldn't be surprised by a miserable 1-1 draw. It's been ages since we've kept a clean sheet and we can't finish to save our lives at the moment. But right now is a good time to have the Spammers at home, so I'll be optimistic.

~ Steve

8. AggieMatt

My only concern is that you usually don't want to face a team right after they've been embarassed b/c they come out fired up. We seem to be an exception to that this year. So catching West Ham on the back of that shellacking, while we seem utterly demoralized, isn't a good prospect.

I'll hang my hopes on the fact that we're at home.

9. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Even if Jol is on the clock and the West Ham match is an utter shambles I would guess at the very least he will be rolled back out to face United the following week.

I personally don't believe Jol is going anywhere unless utter deparation to stay up sets in. I believe the plans are to try at stay up this season and then dismantle the squad over the summer. From the squad this season you might see a change over of as many as 6 to 8 new starters next year. Riether, Berba, Ruiz and Dejagah have a high probability of returning with Kaka likely to be in the squad but not as a nailed on starter. Fulham probably want Hangeland but I believe he is likely to leave. Some very early summer signings coupled with some extremely late January activity might convince him to stay but I currently doubt it. I guess I should probably post any further thoughts in the "Future of Fulham" thread so I'll wrap this up and say I believe the Board has asked Jol to hold on for now with promises of a big spending spree in the summer. There are way too many expiring contracts pointing in that direction.

10. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Speaking of moving forward, Jol, Berba, et al...Let me know what y'all think about my reply to Matt on the thread- "FA Cup 4th Round at Old Trafford"

11. AggieMatt

Hopefully we'll be telling you after the next couple of matches that you're all heart, Tim.

12. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

I hope so too brother...

13. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Boom! Three points!

14. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Massive, Massive 3 points. Chelsea gave reading 1 point but all and all a great day for us throughout the league. :banana-dance:

15. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

much better :) and that boy Riether :dance:

16. nevzter

Sweet win - (exhaling). Holding breath again on Berba's injury and Senderos was knocked too...

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

:banana-skier: Play together, with effort, and good things happen...what a concept :doh:

:eek:ccasion-birthdaymulticolor: to Berba, hope his knock isn't serious. He looked up for it and played his best match in awhile.

Hugo brought his lunch pail and deserved his goal.

Looking forward to reading the View From South Texas after a win for a change.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

your wish is my command.

19. nevzter

I can't ever seem to lodge a comment on the VFST - idiocy in plugging in the security codes, I suppose. But, it was a good read. Thanks again, HD.

20. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Much, much better. More energy, more oomph, more everything. And I still love me some Damien Duff. Just ignore that thread I started about relegation...for now, anyways. COYW!