Fulham v. Shakhtar Donetsk

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by nevzter, Feb 16, 2010.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

In two days Fulham play their first ever post - New Year's UEFA match...first ever. Roy will have Fulham demonstrate discipline and organization, and not to mention a return to fitness for Gera and Konch (I think), and I feel good about the chances of a home victory.

COYW.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/ma ... ess+fulham

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

What is DirecTv Live and does this mean it won't be on tv at the pubs?

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I'll probably miss most of the match, as FSC just doesn't exist in the town I teach in.

So,

a hearty COYW and let's go hard or go home on this one.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

don't worry, Steve. YOu won't miss a thing. FSC will be too busy showing reruns of ECL matches to show anything from The Europa League.

Matt, if it's on TV at the pub, let me know. I think I can make it to this one.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I think everyone is in agreement that a win at home is almost a must if the lads are to advance, preferably a clean sheet to boot. Don't know too much about Shaktar except that they won it last year..in other words they don't suck.

It'll be their first match in awhile so the rust will hopefully be in evidence. I know we're stretched real thin, but a final 16 berth against either Ajax or Juventus would be a dream for the traveling fans.

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Hopefully we play our strongest team and go for it. I think we have a real chance to get to the final 8 at the very least. A win at home is a must and it would be great to win by a couple of goals as well.

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

DirecTV shows the Euorpa League matches on channels in the 460's. The match against Shaktar is currently listed on channel 463. If your local soccer pub has Directv they probably have access to the UEFA channels.

8. sullytex

sullytex Member

I am going to this match but in doing so I will be foregoing the Brummie match on Sunday (compromise with the big boss). Honestly, I think this could be our last home Europa match for some time to come (yeah, I am a bit pessimistic about getting through this round).

I really have no idea what team Roy will run out there. My gut feel tells me a few key starters will sit this one out. I hope not. I don't think there is a real reason not to go hard. Might be a different story if we were sitting in the league with 25 points with a goal differential of -20.

Looking forward to it! Weather predicitions over here are not really worth the paper there written on, but it could be a wet one.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

You're right SoCalJoe: Shaktar haven't played a league game since December 13, and Europa game since the 16th.

So although they will be fresh we have the advantage of being in some good form. We just cannot concede a goal.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

The club website has a photo set from today's training session. For what it's worth, Konchesky and Gera are both shown training with the team, though obviously we don't know how either of them was limited, if at all. I'm going to optimistically guess that both will be able to play tomorrow, and say:

Schwarzer
    Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky
    Duff, Etuhu, Murphy, Davies
    Zamora, Elm (sticking with what's been working)

Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Smalling, Gera, Riise, Greening, Nevland

(Note that in addition to Okaka and Shorey, who are cup-tied, the registered squad does not include Stoor or Andranik.)

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: Harrods - best in the biz

Well, yeah... in a 'neener-neener' sorta way, but pretty embarrassing, too.

One assumes they'll be given a second chance.. miss Harrod's, big letdown.
    Went in 80 with the mrs. Like previous to the HQ Macy's in Manhattan, somewhat a disappointment.

I find this disturbing:

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and I find that hard to believe.

14. pettyfog

What....This?
    google results

We always knew he was no saint...
    - - - -- - - --
    disappointed donetsk player
    [​IMG]

Also banned from Harrods

[​IMG]

15. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I took off work to catch this one, so I'll be at the bar with one eye on Fulham and the other on the U.S. Hockey game. I have a feeling it is going to be a great day. Come on you red, WHITES, and blue!!!

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Fingers-crossed PK is good enough to go or we could have a Kelly sighting.

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: Harrods - best in the biz

I haven't been to Harrod's (shopping wasn't really high on my list of things to do in London, except the Fulham club shop of course), but you're pretty much right about the big Macy's in Herald Square. I guess maybe people (read: female people) expect it to be some sort of awesome amusement park-like experience, but really it's just a gigantic department store. Nothing wrong with that, for instance they will always have Dockers in the size and cut I'm looking for, but it's just a really big store, nothing more.

Gera will be available today, but not Konchesky. I guess that means Kelly. I don't think any of the defenders we have available offer much going forward on the left, unfortunately.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

game day thread

Oh, and FulhamAg had a word with the manager of the Lion & Rose, and now they WILL be doing the match. Off for my Fullers ESB and a Fulham win in an hour or so.

19. pettyfog

RE: Re: Harrods - best in the biz

I grew up considering Dayton to be my hometown when I id'd where I was from.
    And for the women, Dayton had the good fortune to have "Rike's" which was a top-drawer Dept Store and frankly ruined the experience for visiting Macy's. When first married there were a lot of Junior AF couples in our plat and it was interesting to hear the out-a-towner wimmin wax ecstatic about Rikes against Neiman-Marcus and Marshall fields.

When Federated, now Macy's, finally took over Rike's, adding it to Lazarus' in Cols and Shillitoe's in Cincy, it was considered a major coup for them.

And THAT is why Macy's and to a lesser extent Harrod's was a letdown.

20. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

RE: Re: Harrods - best in the biz

Great Win Boys! Now let's beat 'um at the space ship they call home...