Fulham v Pompey

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Oct 3, 2007.

1. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Anyone know why this, and almost every, Premiership game is on Sunday?

Anyways, Pompey is a really good side who has played each of the (usual) top 4. With the exception of last weekends absurd shootout, they havent been scoring too many goals. But the same story applied for ManCity, and they pasted 3 on us.

So I am really unsure about this one, but I don't see it going well. Fulham has been playing well and need the victory, but Pompey is a squad that could either blow us away or not even show up.

2-2 Draw with another last second point taken.

2. BC

BC New Member

I think we've got a chance at winning this one. I'd like to see Bouazza back in for Seol, Keller staying in goal and Stefano or someone, anyone, replacing Baird. The rest of the lineup can stay the same as last week. If our defence plays as well as they did against Chelsea, we'll win.

3. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Last I heard, Kanu had some sort of thigh injury and could be out of the game for Pompey. That could take away much of their attacking bite.

I'm going with pretty much my same lineup from last week, but instead of giving Seol the start, hand it to The Hammer. Seol seems to do better right now as a fresh second half sub.

I'm thinking it'll be 2 - 0, Whites. The defense had a solid match against CSKA London, and their confidence has been given a huge boost. Read: Baird played a good game and should continue to build on it.

EDIT:

Appears Kanu is slated to return this match. But I still would be highly surprised to see him start or play unless they go down early on. A smart manager would take it easy his first game back.

And as a side note, checking some physioroom.com, it says Bullard is pushing to come back the 20th of October. And it states he had a knee injury as recently as September 10th.

hrmm. Not likely official, but still a source.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I always like a player going against his former team to have a big game. You know Stefan is dying to get on the pitch, but w/Hughes & Boca looking so good vs Chelski there isn't a spot for him (he's a cb solely). Kamara needs to start, he has a point to prove to Pompey. Just worried that Papa will come in very motivated and looking to prove a point. 2-1 to the good guys. I'll agree w/quickdraw that Hameur needs to be back starting and Seol off the bench.

5. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Baird was good against Chelsea, and I've always thought he took a little too much flak. He definitely hasn't been good, but he also hasn't been as bad as everyone says he has.

I agree, Bouazza back in, but other than that the same lineup as last week. Also Bullard has repeatedly said his plan is to get back to full contact training sometime this month, then get some time with the reserves to get his timing and match fitness back. I don't expect to see him back with the 1st team until December.

I like Fulham's chances, although I'm nervous that there will be a letdown after the Chelsea match. But I'm optimistic. I'll go Fulham 2-1 Pompey as well.

6. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

I have a question why is Portsmouth called Pompey

7. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

No clue as to why, but it's the nickname of the city of Portsmouth.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's my lineup:

-------- Keller --------------

Baird -- Hughes -- Bocanegra -- Konchesky

Davies -- Davis -- Smertin -- Bouazza

--------- Dempsey -- Kamara ------------

Stefanovich is a lefty. He'll only be effective as a replacement for Boca. I don't think you want 3 of 4 defenders to be lefties. I can't quite figure out who's stronger coming off the bench. I think Kamara needs to get a feel of the pitch that comes with starting, while Healy will be hungrier the later it gets.

Bench: Niemi, Stefanovich, Healy, Murphy, John

Pompey can be scored on. If Calamity James doesn't guess lucky on the penalty, Reading puts 5 in on Pompey's own patch. Last year we got screwed twice: away they scored after Niemi had been fouled at least twice in a goal-mouth scramble 1-1. At home, it took the wonderstrike of all wonderstrikes against us to get a draw.

I like us 3-1. We're on our way, ladies and germs!

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Re: RE: Fulham v Pompey

Kanu didn't play against Reading. So they attack just fine without him. Benjani and Utaka will run rampant probably.

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Fulham v Pompey

Diop did an interview on Portsmouth's website basically saying that Fulham is their home away from home and their team and fans will run all over Fulham.

I want nothing more than to send those smelly sailors home with nothing and let Diop rot on the south coast.

My line up:

Keller

Baird -- Stef -- Boca -- Konch

Seol -- Smertin -- Davis -- Bouazza

Kamara -- Dempsey

Subs:
    Davies
    Hughes
    Healy
    Niemi
    Kuqi

11. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I've been chomping at the bit for some time over this match. I was able to convince about 5 other football enthusiasts to attend and hopefully they will get caught up in all that is Fulham when they are at Craven Cottage.

If Lawrie is going to start this match in an attacking style with loads of pace then I would think Mike's lineup would be the best and if Lawrie is looking for a more conservative, but controlled style then Don's woudl be ideal. Either way, both lineups would fit for me.

Hoping Fulham finally gets a result and it would be nice to send Diop packing with a three nil loss. My prediction is a 2-1 result in Fulham's favour. Pompey came out last week and unleashed hell's fury on Reading. I don't believe Pompey has that in them again, but it shows what they are capable of doing. Should be a great match.

COYW's.

12. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I keep seeing everyone mention last week's match against Reading ... that was a fluke. Need I also point out that they had 5 goals scored against them as well?

13. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

I don't know why, but this just feels like a bellweather game for FFC. We had few tough loses early on, followed by some spirited draws. But now it's time for the Whites to step it up. Yes, it's still early, but it's time for Lawrie and the boys to prove their worth, make a stand at home, and take all the points. I don't want to hear about the refs or poor luck (however relevant they may be) if we draw or lose. Put the best IX out there - whoever that may be - and go take it! Win and I think we set the tone for a move up the table. Lose or draw and I'm getting prepared to languish at the bottom. Just a gut feeling.

COYW!!!

14. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Sadly I agree. Anything but a win, and I will start to worry as the table starts to spread out more and more.

15. psand22

psand22 Member

Well, I don't agree. I think we've played some inspired ball and we're heading in the direction - win, lose, or draw this weekend. Pompey are 6th in the table, but they are beatable. So points this weekend are very important, but I don't think it's all gloom and doom...if we don't win.
    Look at the schedule: Derby, @Sun, and Reading. Those games should get us moving up the table. In recent past, we have lost games to teams below or near us in the table. This is where we must get the wins...and I think we will. Hopefully, LS will have their attention and have them ready to play above and not to the level of our opponents. Le'ts go with the same line up as last week and I see us getting a 3-2 win...

16. andyns

andyns New Member

a win

17. Fulhamburger

Fulhamburger New Member

2-1 to Fulham

Goals - Davis (37') and Kamara (44')

18. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Sorry, I have it as Pompey 2, W's 1 -- Baird is a weak link, Portsmouth just put in 7 goals last week, they will run at him. Seven won't happen, two or three may. Baird, and FFC, let's see what you can do, prove me wrong.

19. RDG

RDG Member

Ok. so I figure this is a high-scoring match (watch - it ends up scoreless!), so I'd thinking 2-2 or 3-3.

I would ask where those in NYC are watching the match, but I may have to take care of some business with my mother, so I may not make kickoff.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the lineups from the offal:

Fulham Line Up
    Keller
    Baird Bocanegra Hughes Konchesky
    Davies Davis Smertin Bouazza
    Healy Dempsey

Portsmouth Line Up
    James
    Johnson Distin Campbell Hreidarsson
    Muntari Kranjcar Davis Diop
    Utaka Mwaruwari

Fulham Substitutes
    Niemi
    Stefanovic
    Ki-Hyeon
    Murphy
    Kamara

I'll miss the chatroom both live [church] and tape delayed [last swimming pool day of the summer -- yes; it's still summer here!]. COYW!!!!!!