Fulham v Everton [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Oct 30, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Lets move on....

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Fulham v Everton [R] {Prematch}

SCARY! I think it, and you do it. You're freaking me out Fog.

On a more substantive note:

Why does it seem like Queudrue is getting progressively worse? Still probably has a good grip on the spot, but he needs to pick up his game, as he seemed like an anchor to start the season. I hope we are not beginning to see fissures that will form into larger cracks. All of the defensive spots still make me most nervous.

Midfield will hopefully sort itself out more, now that Boa is back. Of course Boa's position was the one where his replacement was having the most effect, but Radz will have to prepare for substitute duty as long as Boa can manage to be fit enough to play. Right now, assuming Diop is still not match fit, a solid starting line-up has Routledge, Brown, Jensen, and Boa, with Radz and Volz available off the bench. Bocanegra must resume his defensive (and in an emergency, midfield) fill-in duties.

In the front, Routledge to McBride was working pretty well, so I don't understand why Coleman got away from that. I think Helguson is good to match up at the start with McBride, and he appears more of a threat to other teams than John these days. Radz could also fill-in if needed in the front.

I agree that the 4-5-1 was a mistake at home, especially against the likes of Wigan. This was a team we should have pressed. Just as the offense begins from the back, the defense begins from the front. With two forwards we could have gotten more chances for goals and perhaps stalled a few counters in Wigan's back 1/3. Cookie needs to re-think his strategy for Everton. If Wigan gave us fits, the other Blue-Poo will only bring more potential for frustration. Hope he gives the lads a good work-out this week, and some fellahs step-up to be leaders for Saturday's gut-check match.

Therefore, my line-up:

---------------------- Niemi --------------------------------

--- Rosenior ---- Pearce ---- Knight ---- Queuedrue---

-- Routledge ----- Jensen ---- Brown ---- Boa Morte --

------------ Helguson ----------- McBride ----------------

Bench:
    The other keeper
    Bocanegra
    Volz
    Radz
    John

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

We can guess the Everton are going to come and play 9 men behind the ball using AJ as an outlet. We have to be balanced in our attack. If we over attack we'll get done with a sucker punch. I like the formation and think Pearce has enough to take AJ out the game, switch Brown and Jensen round in the middle to balance the defensive capabilities in the middel of the park.

On the plus side, history is good for us, we beat Everton at home and lose to them on our travels.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Couldn't remember if Jensen favors his right or left. Agree, swap position with Brown if better.

Also, let Boa start, but if he starts wearing down, toss Radz in their and let him make the right side defender crazy. If Jensen starts looking too lacksidaisical (wrong spelling, I know), get Volz in there. Or Volz could switch in for Rosenior if need be. Bocanegra in for Quedrue if he starts falling apart again. John gets to come in only in an emergency.

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

Playing 2 quick wingers will give Phil Neville a torrid time. Especially if Boa and Wayne switch wings occasionally to strech play.

6. rumstove

rumstove New Member

A.Johnson and T.Cahill will most likely be the biggest problems. Even so, I hope Fulham comes out with a more "attacking" line-up...I think we all want that. FFCinPCB's lineup looks OK to me. Sometime during the match I want Radz to come in.

I read in text commentary of the Wigan game that the Brown/Boa Morte substitution was for a Brown injury, rather than tactical. Is Brown fit to play? I guess it was only a small knock since I don't see "Brown injured" headlines anywhere.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

Brown did not look uncomfortable when he went of, it is probably a dead leg. There is nothing on the official site or BBC about any injuries.

8. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Thanks GBFC. That's good news...one less major injury to worry about. :D

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This is so cool. It's only Monday and we're gearing up for Saturday's match.

I like PCB's lineup, but I think we need to sit Liam down and put Volzy in at RB. Liam looked a little lost in the last two matches I saw [may have played well against Wigan, but I don't know]. I also think that at this point in his career Radz is better coming off the bench around 60 minutes.

I worry about AJ. He reminds me of Malcolm Macdonald. He's a major pain in the ass and he can get a goal out of nothing. I don't think we've got anyone who can man-mark him. Knight can shut down their other forwards, but I'm not sure either of them has the pace or mobility to shut down AJ. Mayby Boca?

Anyhow, I think we have to take it to them and put on the pressure. Cahill thrives on being ignored. For me, Fitba is like B-Ball, the best way to curtail an offensive threat is to make him play defense.

I'm thinking if we play 4-4-2 with BMB & HH up front, we can get a couple past Howard.

2-1, and a noisy Cottage for DCH & RDG.

Get some Other Blue Poo!

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

---------------------- Niemi --------------------------------

--- Volzy ---- Pearce ---- Knight ---- Queuedrue---

-- Routledge ----- Jensen ---- Brown ---- Radz --

------------ Helguson ----------- McBride ----------------

Bench:
    The other keeper
    Bouba
    Rosey
    Boa Morte
    John

Here are my adjustments to PCB's line up!

12. GaryBarnettFanClub

Phil Neville got sent of in this fixutre last season, we should wind him up.

13. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

As long as Cahill gets contained we will all breath easier. That set piece against the Gunners was crazy. He just has a natural nack to be in the right place at the right time. Let's knock down those Merseyside Blues!

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

As others have mentioned, Andy Johnson and Tim Cahill are superb players that can and will change a game for a team. Additionally, the player to me that helps make this team go is Mikael Arteta. His set pieces are fantastic and he is very creative in the middle of the park. He is the one that scares just as much as the other two.

Regardless, Fulham must come out to WIN this match. Enough of this defensive-minded lineup. I can go for that against bigger teams, but Everton is not one of those teams. Fulham must get back to winning ways at home this Saturday.

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Yep, I want the players out there that are tugging at the leash, hardly controllable and wishing the match was today!

Come On You Rabid Whites!!!

16. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I really like PCB's line up for Everton. Unfortunately, the backline might have to play as well as they did against Aston Villa (read: friggin' amazing) to make sure Everton doesn't drop a train on Niemi. Not much Coleman or anyone else outside of the players themselves can do about that, though. I understood sticking Bocanegra and Volz in the middle against Wigan insomuch is that they performed well there against Aston Villa. But the 4-5-1 formation was a poor idea, Coleman should stick to the 4-4-2 for Everton and make Tim Howard worry about headers from McBride.

It's nice to see more Fulham players get healthy, maybe Boa Morte will remind everyone why he's a big snake on the field after being out so long.

I know Tim Cahill will be a problem if let running around and getting open; maybe Coleman should assign a player to shadow him the entire game? I know it can be highly effective in fast-flowing sport like hockey, maybe it'd work in soccer too? Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the team to know who in the midfield is the best at following and marking opposing players.

Rabid Whites? Maybe that's why they didn't do so well against Wigan, the team got bitten by wild dogs...

Regardless, COME ON YOU WHITES!

17. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

I will honestly be happy with a point from this one. Why do I feel so dirty admitting that?

18. GaryBarnettFanClub

Nothing but 3 points will do.

19. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Agreed. And can someone with a longer memory remind me when/if a 4-5-1 with McBride up top has ever been effective? I truly he think functions first and foremost in a strike partnership, rather than solo, even with good service.

Of course, I have the memory of a rabid (speaking of) gnat, so I could be way off. I am always happy to be enlightened....

20. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

This is a real tough match. And it on so early and I'll have to get to a pub to see it :( Oh well hope we can nick a win. It will be a real acomplishment if we do.