Fulham @ The Big Bad Bullies

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Feb 14, 2009.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Well, we make up our game in hand at long last. Just in time to break their streak of not letting in a goal since Don was a corporal at the Alamo.

My theory is this -- Woy played for a draw today. Hence, the resting of Pantsil, Dempsey, and possibly Zamora. It may possibly be the dawn of a new day in the case of the latter. Woy was fine with taking a draw out of Wales today to have a shot at taking something home from Old Trafford. It wasn't a bad idea, especially if it works.

My lineup choices are --
    ----------------------------Schwarzer
    -----Pantsil ------Hughes --------Hangman------PK
    -----Deuce-------Murphy----Unsure between Etuhu or Dacourt----Davies
    -------------------Nevland-----------------F5

I am leaving the holding mid position open because I know nothing about Dacourt. Pantsil should be the first to come off because his lapses will certainly result in a goal for the Bullies.

Wow, theirs is a team that can hurt you in every way imaginable. Backfour and VDS? They've had a nice run lately. Vidic is a beast in every sense of the word, and my favorite non-Fulham player in the league. Hope he catches the flu this weekend. Rooney out still(possibly?) Berbatov and Tevez are both feeling it now. Their midfield against W Ham in their last game was Rafael, Carrick, and two old geezers named Giggs and Scholes. They won the game for them.

Why can't we get a point or all three from them. I want to reuse a line from the game at Anfield -- is it written in the Prem's bylaws that every team has to go to a barn like Old Trafford and start 1-0 down? Why can't we win there? We've done it before, with a team that was roughly as good as this one is now. This team seems to have the character to do it, why not us?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Believe it or not, I'd like to see Gray start. Why? Because Ronaldo v. Konchesky is the most lopsided matchup since USA v. Grenada more than 25 years ago. I wouldn't expect Gray to do much more than track back and help the Alien.

Of course, if we start Kallio instead of PK, I won't panic as much. I don't think you'll see Dacourt; he looked completely bushed after about 55 minutes, and I'm hoping you won't see Nevland until about minute 75.

COYW!

3. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Ronaldo played on the left in their last couple games, but Ferguson probably knows that Paintsil is the favorable matchup for us. It will be interesting to see what Man Utd's lineup looks like tomorrow - Giggs and Scholes haven't been playing as much lately, so hopefully they start against Derby and are rested against us. I'll take my chances with Fletcher and Park.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

"A nice run" probably doesn't do justice to the fact that they haven't given up a league goal since early November.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yeah, but they haven't faced Zamora yet! :banana:

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Wouldn't if be fulhamish of the highest quality for Zamora to be the one to break ManU's scoreless streak.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched the Derby-United match today -- a little scouting, don't ya know -- and here's some news:

rested: Vidic, Berbatov, Tevez, Neville
    substituted after 70 minutes: Ronaldo
    young players: brilliant

We're going to lose 2-0. Congrats to EVDS for setting some sort of record. Let's nope nobody in white gets injured.

8. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

This season, the only club I've seen that can compete with United's form is Barcelona. Liverpool won't sniff the top again, nor will anybody else...the damn Red Devils are simply too good and deep.

Thus, a draw would be quite Fulhamish and it's a shame that the voice in my head insists on singing in its best Dean Martin voice "United, 3-0."

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!!!!

1. Evidently Wednesday's match v. United was not as attractive as Saturday's United match v. Blackburn, so FSC is NOT showing Fulham -- I am stunned

2. Wayne Rooney is likely to, at some point, join the rested Vidic, Neville, Tevez, and Berbatov on Wednesday!

3. Evidently, Old Trafford is sold out -- for a February evening match ... against Fulham.

All three are listed as good news because ... well, just because.

10. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

3-0 Manure. I can't see us scoring on them and I can't see us keeping the sheet clean, especially with the gaffes we're sure to have on the wings. I think the lack of television may be merciful.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I still think 2-0, but I can pretty much guarantee that if you come see us on Friday, I'll still have the full beard.

Chatrooms R Us!

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i am definitely not optimistic going in to this match. maybe F5 will take a dive in the box and win us a penalty early. Just please make sure the ref isn't Alan Riley or whatever that dude's name is that gives Manure penalties every match he does of theirs

13. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

the match is live on setanta at 2:55pm and then aired again at 9:30pm.

Expect some bogus goal/dive from Nani and we'll lose 1-0.

I really, really hate United.

14. sullytex

sullytex Member

I'll share in the pessimism. These are must have 3 points for United in the title run. They will throw the kitchen sink at us. I bet we have a few liverpudlians rooting on our side though.

Hate to say it, 2-0 to the United. An absolutely phenominal game from Swartz and the D might garner a draw. If the odds are really good at the bookies, I may lay a tenner on 0-0 because I seriously doubt we put the ball in the back of the net.

There are few times I like to be proved wrong in life and this would be one of those times I would relish being absolutely dead wrong.

15. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I'm thinking I'm the only one who has a feeling that we're gonna win on wednesday. 1-0 to Fulham. They really want to see my patches gone.... and so do I.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Ian, you have a basketball beard -- 5 to a side

17. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

how many cards has Pantsil had? because after being skined by Ronaldo for the 5th time you know whats going to happen! I think Woy is going to go for it(nothing to lose,we could put 11men behind the ball and still get beat) I think that would be our best bet-"They don't like it up em" lol

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

19. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

I have very mixed emotions about this game, it is surely one of those games that us as Fulham supporters look forward to, because Fulham are in the premiership.
    But simply put Man U are in a different World to us in footballing terms, their movement on and off the ball is astounding, and they have truly world class players, who the Fulham players cannot really get close to.
    RH as by his actions made no secret of the fact all year that survival in this league is paramount, and realistically tomorrows game is a luxury, WBA at home on Sunday is so much more important, a genuine 6 pointer, and looking at the fixture list we have two other home games, against Blackburn and Hull, that in a normal year wins would give us 39 points and safety, so I would not be surprised to see a few Fulham players who maybe carrying slight injuries rested.
    It is also interesting, that Fergie rested so many players on Sunday, he usually does that against us, it would seem that he is taking us a little more seriously this season.
    So I would be in favor of looking past this one, concentrating on WBA, and then Swansea then taking our shot at them at the cottage in the 6th round.

20. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

The way I see it, Man Utd's games with Chelsea and Liverpool were pretty even - if anything, they were a little worse. We did alright against those two, so I'm hoping that translates to some success tomorrow.

John, you may be right about a couple players being rested:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsA ... eport.aspx