Fulham @ Sjoke

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, Dec 7, 2008.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Actually, they are anything but a joke -- that honor goes to the black-and-white team they stole a point from yesterday with a goal at the dying moments. I've seen them a little this year, and you know what you are getting from them -- an ugly, tough team that will shoot the long balls and try to bludgeon you into submission. I have to say I have a soft spot for teams that play that way, as long as they don't line up against Fulham. Then they can go to hell.

We've had issues with teams that do that this year -- Blackburn (for God's sakes), the home draw v. Sunderland, even Burnley.

They are limited in weapons though, Fuller doesn't scare me, neither does Sidibe, and they lead Stoke in goals scored. Hangman and Hughes should be able to neutralize Delap's long throws, and their attacking mids too. We can and should control the midfield, and we'll see if our front line can stand the hacks they will give them from the Stoke back line.

No predictions because I'm too conscious of a jinx. We need to win a road game sooner rather than later, and this is one that can be had though. I'll defer to the Englishmen on the board about the Brittania, but I saw in an interview that Jay DeMerit gave that this is his least favorite ground in England, so I'll take his word for it.

Come on Fulham!

2. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

These are all valid points with respect to Stoke's style of play. That said, their lack of quality means that this really should be a win for FFC. This squad (Fulham) is better than last year's that couldn't close a deal against Derby. The defense is much stingier and the strikers up front are, well, strikers.

I expect 3 points against Stoke City and I certainly would think that Roy will expect the same from his team.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I also expect three points. I don't worry too much about their attack -- although I believe they've got the only player who scored a goal WITH HIS FACE WHILE FALLING DOWN! :roll: Ahem.

Oh, and I like Ricardo Fuller, but he is punching way above his weight. At this point in his career, I would have thought he'd be headed to MLS or to Scotland.

As for the match ... what Steve says is right on ... except, in front of their own fans Stoke will be going all out for the first 15 minutes. They'll throw everything they have at us, which will make it necessary for us to maintain our shape and discipline. Attacking in force will open up serious holes for us that AJ, in particular, should find it a fun afternoon.

I think you'll see the return of Gera on Saturday. Roy's post-match comments added to the fact that he gets more chances in front of goal that anyone else we have, means I think we'll see him for at least 75 minutes. After a good match or two on the left, Davies has gone a little walkabout the last couple and, after some serious creativity and aggression on the right, Dempsey had a quiet game yesterday. So, I figure that Roy will sit SuperTaffy and start Gera on the left and Clint on the right. We'll have to steel ourselves, however, to the possibility of Clint going back to the bench. It's not likely, but somebody has to sit when Gera comes back.

I think we shut these guys down and win 0-1.

Come On You Super Whites!

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Livesoccertv.com says delayed coverage on Setanta at 6:45pm Saturday; live coverage TBA (I'm guessing none).

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

what's up with FSC? It's been forever since they've had FFC on.

6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

You lose a bunch of Americans and the team is a little less desirable for American TV?

Granted we still have Dempsey, but when this squad had 3-4 guys, it was a lot easier to sell for TV.

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Given the description of Stoke's play, you'd think he'd be better served to wait on putting Gera back in for the Boro match. I think BobbyZ stands up to the hacking and nets in this one and the good guys leave Stoke with a 1-0 victory. COYW!!

FSC seems to be worse across the board to me this year for some reason, but the primary reason being our decreased presence in their scheduling. Agree, it's probably the decrease in Americans at FFC, but more specifically, the absence of McBride.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Perhaps Setanta has a Fulham fan in the fold because I feel like I have seen almost every match this season.

9. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

I understand showing the Top 4, but if I see another Newcastle match I am gonna puke... :?

PS- That "9th" looks nice.
    MK

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Demps did seem to slide a little. To me - he has lost something, and I am expect Roy will sit him again to get him fired up.

I will say this tho - It is cool to see that he gets hammered any time he touches the ball early in each match. Shows me that the opposition fear him enough to knock him around and try to put him off.

The problem is - it seems to work.

As far as the Stoke match - I believe that this must be 3 points.

11. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

I think we have to get though the first 15 minutes and then pass then to death,get them to run themselve stupid and then put them to the sword(sounds easy when you write it down lol)
    A bold 2-nil to the Fulham,and.....................BobZ to score!

I have faith in that back 4 of ours and that big bear of a bloke between the sticks!

12. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I have a bad feeling about this match. I think we draw or lose. I hope I am very wrong.

13. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

the thing is this season is so tight every game is a must win,if drop 6 points before new Year and other games go against us we could be right back in the mix,nothing to panic about just yet but it must be in the back of players minds!

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good point, OB. The holiday crush is approaching. The exhaustion that this produces, combined with the odd suspension that might result from a few more yellow cards between now and then, will be the test of Roy's limited playing squad. We'll have to call upon squad members who haven't played very much, if at all.

Having said that, I think we can put ourselves well clear of the relegation scrum by the end of January. Neither December's nor January's schedule is nearly as daunting as were September's and November's.

15. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Getting 3 points from Stoke (any team below us in the table) is really like gaining 6 points. These are the games we need to make sure we don't lose.

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Exactly the reason I said it MUST be 3 points. The draw has kept Fulham hovering just above the the bottom 1/4, but one loss against a team around and below will spell "Relegation Battle."

I am happy with the draw against teams above us, and also away from home, but we have to start taking the 3 points at home to be able to keep the table from overtaking us. Fulham is only 2 points clear of 16th, and 5 points clear of the Relegation Zone!

This MUST be 3 points!

17. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

I couldn't agree more ... they have to take three from this one.
    Drawing at Anfield and Villa Park are good results for sure, but we've got to beat teams below us in the table (whether away or at home) if Fulham are going to steer clear of the relegation battle to come.

Given how physical Stoke is I'd like to see Kallio instead of Konch, but doubt that'll happen.

I'll predict a 2-0 victory for the good guys with goals coming from AJ and Demps. AJ's got the pace to beat Stoke's back line and I think that Demps is about due.

COYW!!!

18. Bradical

Bradical Member

That current 9th place standing looks so nice on paper, I don't care what the reality of the situation is (yet).

1-0 Cottagers (Dempsey, 72')

COYW

19. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

hmm no setanta xtra even? unless we can find a feed looks like a return to GJ.

and as everyone is aware, i'm quite intrigued by this one.

COYW!!!!!!

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm hearing rumors that Delap is not going to play. If that's the case, there goes Stoke's entire attack. I'm thinking that our #s 1, 2, and 3 in the FFC Player of the month rankings will keep a clean sheet for us.

[Thats 1. Aussie. 2. Hangman. 3. Hughes, by the way]