Fulham reserves v Norwich City reserves

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by sfm, Oct 3, 2011.

1. sfm

sfm Member

Evening all: I am still here in London--still well chuffed over Sunday's performance-- and journeying back to Motspur Park tonight at 7pm for Fulham reserves, or perhaps "development squad" against Norwich City. Hopefully our XI will consist of:

Etheridge
    Halliche, Hughes, Arthurworrey, Smith
    Minkwitz, Harris, Gecov, Frei
    Trotta, Sa

I have watched most of these players in some form and based on reviews of his performances the past two months, the player whose performance I am most anticipating watching is Kerim Frei. Although I have been a Marcello Trotta backer, I suspect he needs to go on loan and continue building upper body strength to ensure he is not muscled off ball as a #9 against stronger opposition. Minkwitz and Arthurworrey also caught my eye last season on the U18s.

I have a depressingly early flight tomorrow but will endeavour to relay my thoughts as soon as I can reasonably do.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Kerim Frei impressed me a lot in the Carling Cup game against Chelsea...I am very interested in hearing your report of the reserve match!

3. sfm

sfm Member

Fulham reserves 6 Norwich City reserves 2 FT

Marcello ("Rodney") Trotta scored four goals and set up another for Kerim Frei and substitute Tom Donegan scored late on as Fulham's reserves out-paced a largely flat-footed Canaries reserve XI tonight at Motspur Park.

I have a dreadfully early flight to Frankfurt in a few hours so I will try to be economical with my comments.

Fulham reserves started:

Somogyi
    Dean Smith Burn Passley
    Woodrow Harris Gecov Frei
    Trotta Kacaniklic

Rodders' first goal was a header in the box that just dipped under the bar. His second was from a sublimely weighted cross taken chest high, turned and volleyed home. It evoked AJ's second goal in Odense or Jason Scotland's goal against us for Swansea in the '09 FA Cup fifth round first leg. His third, a penalty won and taken after his pace forced a tackle from behind. GK Mathews for Norwich guessed correctly and parried Trotta's low hard right footer, but he converted the rebound into the left corner. Cushty! The fourth came when he caught midfielder Clunan in possession, blew past the CBs and cooly finished just past the penalty spot. I still think he needs to go out on loan to a Championship side to continue his development. He looks quicker and more able to maintain possession through two, three or four defenders than when I saw him last in April.

Cauley Woodrow was also impressive-like a larger Ronny Minkwitz-- and a similar all-action style. He and Courtney Harris set up Trotta's first three goal. Kacaniklic also showed impressive pace and decoyed on Trotta's second and Frei's goal. Frei met my expectations and was justly rewarded for his work down thr right. He was more defensive than I presumed and showed great willingness to run at defenders or atke on their midfield and defensive pairs together. Like Danny Murphy, who I believe was there early in the first half, Frei's passes are conspicuously well weighted. (Jol, Ray Lew and Skippy were there throughout. I did not ask Skippy about his back)

I was less impressed by Somogyi, Jack Dean, who showed flashes going forward but was caught in possession early on, Passley, who took a heavy knock but prior to then seemed tentative in passing, and Gecov, who was surprisingly knocked off the ball a few times. I think Gecov played better in the League cup and Europa League than what I saw tonight.

In all, these are all very young men and not the finished articles. My abiding message is that we have a greater depth of potential to draw from and a few players in Trotta, Frei, Woodrow and Donegan that show particular promise.

If anyone has further queries, I will endeavor to reply about 24 hours from now.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for the first hand report! It beats any sort of "official" report or news article. You've got a point about Trotta going out on loan. I hope that happens. Interesting that Murphy was there for a while; perhaps the talk of him turning into a coach at Fulham is true.

Question: Who is Skippy?

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks sfm for the report! 12 goals in 2 matches..not too shabby. Surprised Gecov had an off game since I was impressed by his CC match. Frei was a dynamo at the Bridge also. Given his age, do you think Kerim would be better served by playing for the reserves or going out on loan? Trotta going out on loan in Jan. will happen I just hope the club is very selectivel about where he ends up.

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, thanks for the reserve report. Glad to hear we have some very good players in reserve.

7. sfm

sfm Member

Skippy = Mark Schwarzer. Somehow, we all just started calling him that and it stuck. He was leaning along a fence by the main entrance grinning and sending a text message, looking relaxed before the match, wearing black jeans. I did not ask about his back so as to interrupt his contented state.

Murphy and Schwarzer have both publicly stated ambitions in coaching after retiring, so I was not too surprised to see both of them, though Murphy's car was gone by half-time. I thought I saw AJ up on the balcony as well in the first half as well. It must do the reserve players a world of good to have members of the first team in the stands watching and supporting their performances.

I agree about both Trotta and Frei going out on loan as it is hard for me to see them improving when facing other development squad opposition. They and Cauley Woodrow were miles ahead of anyone in green and yellow last night. Granted, Norwich City played a high defencive line but the score line did not flatter to deceive.

I can not recommend attending DS or U18 matches enough. It is a bit like watching "The Old Grey Whistle Test" on BBC2 back in the '70s: there is a minimal set, sparse lighting, other viewers who are keenly interested in the performance, and that's it really. Programs are four pages and free-- I have a few extras if anyone wants one and there is a burger stand like the one in Bishop's Park for half time refreshments. At the entrance, the ticket lady said I was one of the few season ticket holders who came to watch last night. If I lived anywhere in the GLA, I would go regularly. For non season ticket holders, I think it costs three quid.

Remember when Zesh Rehman was promoted from the youth team to the first team in '05 under Cookie? We were all so excited then, because he had come up and after Sean Davis it seemed like we finally had a homegrown talent. I think Fultime even featured it. No disrespect at all to Zesh, but we have a lot more to be hopeful about now compared to then!

I will be away at Sunderland on the 19th next month; see everyone on the coach or up on Wearside.