Fulham: Past, Present, and Injured at the WC

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Jun 25, 2014.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Could of put this in the all encompassing WC thread, but Mitroglue one-liners deserve their own thread :cool:

Costa Rica: Bryan Ruiz
    Great point by HD on that WC thread about Martin Jol. Only a truly 'remarkable manager' can make Bryan Ruiz virtually useless. I always liked Bryan, and while he might have been a square peg in a round hole in English football his talent was never utilized. The Ticos deserved to win that group and it is guaranteed that a Fulham connection will be in the quarterfinals as Costa Rica plays Greece

Greece: Karagounis and wait for it.......MitroWHo
    I'll be the first to say that I'd rather dip my hand in a vat of honey and stick it into a fire ant hill than watch Greece play, but they have advanced playing their style. AggieMatt's favorite ancient Greek captained them to victory yesterday. **Tangent Alert - Speaking of our favorite Aggie and since Don is watching the US game with him tomorrow, tell Matt for us that his 3 month sabbatical needs to be over (Did he travel to Cambodia looking for the meaning of life while giving out Johnny Football T-Shirts?? :think: )** Give the 37 year old some credit, he ran his socks off and showed that he is still an effective player. As for the other player on the team that is alleged to be a Fulham player, reports that he pulled his groin and tweaked his calf while putting on the FIFA vest cannot be confirmed nor denied.

Iran: Ashkan Dejagah
    Iran played Argentina to a standstill and deserved a result, but for a Messi moment of brilliance. Our Ashcan has been fantastic, especially against one of the tournament favorites. He looked like he drew a penalty from Citeh's Zabuleta but the ref didn't give it, then almost scored a great header, but was denied by the Argentina's GK fingertip save over the bar. Iran needs to beat Bosnia, and hope the Guachos put a beatdown on Nigeria to advance.

Mexico: Carlos Slacido
    No longer a mainstay for EL Tri, but has played as a defensive sub and has contributed leadership in the locker room. The Mexico-Holland game is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Besides Clint and the kid we just signed from the Socceroos am I missing someone?

2. tim

tim Active Member

Andranik Teymourian, I think, made all of one appearance for us, but was on our books for a couple years and plays with Ashkan for Iran.

3. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Halliche scored for Algeria.

4. SoCalJoe

Sac, I saw him score and recognized his name, and thought he played at West Brom or Southampton... :doh:

Don't remember Teymourian at all TIm, but good spot. Bosnia put a whooping on Iran to finish them off.

5. SoCalJoe

Forgot an obvious one;

Switzerland: Phillipe Senderos. Always up to the fight mentally, but no stranger to the physical gaffe. Anyone that keeps coming back from the amount of injuries he's endured has my respect. Unless Ecuador can find a way to beat France, the Swiss will be playing in the round of 16.

6. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

Not much more than a cup of coffee but he was on the Fulham roster at one point.

7. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

And therein lies a somewhat telling facet of our relegation. Too many one cuppers that, for whatever reasons, didn't pan out.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I remember him well. He played as "Andranik." He made a couple of promising performances and then disappeared.

9. SoCalJoe

Can't believe this guy hasn't been mentioned yet, especially if the US gets through they will be the likely opponent:

Belguim: Moussa Dembele. Moose was an absolute joy to watch in our white jersey.