Fulham Football Club V's The Villa

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by TheOldBugger, Nov 24, 2008.

1. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

I'll start this one off for change :D
    Right then-as everybody knows I'm very wary of biggin up our chances away from the beloved Cottage,but do you know what???? the way we have been playing??? 2-nil to the Fulham,the win has to come sometime,the Villa are agood passing side who are playing well,however if you match the team player for player I think we have the beating of them.
    Yes they have a good midfield,we have the Danny M and that bloke who's thinner than Frank Lampard :D
    Yes they have a good striker,we have F5 and Bob Z :D
    Yes they have a good defence,we've got Pantsil and the Hangman :D
    I think with all things being equal,we can have these!

What say you guy's?

2. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

RE: Fulham Football Club V

I think you should be an assistant manager! Get in there, and fire up the team before every match! I predicted 0-0 last week and I'm feeling confident that we can come away with something again. I will say 1-1 but good footbal from our Whites.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Besides being away the one thing that worries me is the pace of Agbonlahor and Young. I do believe AJ could give Laursen and Davies fits and I think we are well suited to play against Villa's finesse passing game. Barry, Sidwell and Petrov may well be a good match-up for Jimmy and Danny to play against as there is not alot of muscle to contend with. I like our chances of taking a point here but could see us grabbing all three.

4. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Well, I say this..........I watched the Villa v. Manu game last night (on DVR) and it really made me believe, sans a rash of injuries, Villa should finish 4th this year. They were as tough as nails, they gave as much as they got, they played with heart, aggression and their work-rate was commendable. They have some Thoroughbreads on the side and a pretty solid defense with Friedel playing well. Their midfield play was also good whether they were creating the game or reacting to or breaking up what Manu was trying to do to create oppty's for themselves. Villa is a confident side as well. I like watching them actually.

All that aside, the Whites should remain confident, perhaps more so, we should match up well with them and I see no reason why we can't take a point from them. We are doing so well at disrupting what the other teams having been trying to do I see no reason to expect anything but a good performance. F5 and BZam should be able to create some chances as I think we will more likely score in open play than set pieces unless Bully can recreate his pinpoint famous free kick goal he had against them last year.

I like our chances.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We've matched up well with Villa the last few seasons. We should have gotten 4 of 6 off them last season [thanks, Zat!], and we might do that this season as well. Yes, they are in the ascendent, and yes they bottled up United this weekend. But ...

a. they had a midfielder playing right back.
    b. they had a right winger playing on the left.
    c. their Norwegian stud-hoss wasn't fit enough to start.
    d. Abonglahor seriously missed the Norwegian stud-hoss. How bad? Imagine AJ being forced to play without Bobby Z for 70 minutes.

The latter named young England striker, both Youngs, and Mr. Friedel are top class, but I think we match up this year as well as we did last year. I said in timmyg's blogspot that I would be happy with one point from these two road matches, but Saturday has me greedy.

I'm thinking 1-1, and the way our strike pair are playing, 1-2 wouldn't be out of the question.

6. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I really want to get my hands on the Villa v Newcastle and Boro tapes to best see how to beat this club.

Nonetheless I see a 1-1 draw. Matches between the two have been very entertaining the past few years.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The team has been trending upwards on its' last three away performances. I think nothing changes and the lads will play well again. Now will that be enough to bring about a result? Who knows, ol' man Friedal is a tough nut to crack, but we will have some very good opportunities. When you saw Pool and Villa back-to-back on the fixture list you hoped for 1 pt, be elated w/2 pts., and 4 pts. would be unrealistic. Well, the later isn't totally out of the realm and it wouldn't even be surprising the way the team has come together.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we're not on FSC -- although they do have the 'boro - Newcastle match and two FA Cup ties.

That being the case, I'm sure I'll be hoping that the chatroom doesn't crash again. If it does, I'll be checking in at FoF chat room.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I think it'll be a tough-fought game, but Villa wants to keep that 4th place. 2-1 Villa. Getting a point there would be as big an "upset" as the point at Anfield was and our guys won't be up for it quite as much since Villa lacks the "prestige" of 'Pool.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

These days, as a Fulham faithful, I'm so happy to proclaim our current position, and without a tinge of hubris. The squad looks good - not just scraping by as in recent years.

And, I'm with ridgerider, as I secretly enjoy watching the Villains now and then; a Mr O'Neill squad always plays its arse off - which is what causes me concern for this match. I don't see more than a point, and I think there's even less of a chance to grab a point than at Anfield, simply because I believe Villa is hungry this year. That said, I agree with the above which states we match up fairly well - a point is within FFC's grasp, I just don't see it happening this weekend.

If we nick a goal (hello Mr Zamora, you're due to cash in on your fine play of late) then I see a 1 - 1 draw. But FFC has a whole of 2 away goals this year, and I'm not overly optimistic it'll be 3 plus after the weekend.

However, I've been incorrect about a great deal lately, and may my prognostication continue my trend of ineptitude....

COYW!!!!

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I checked FoF when we crashed on Sat. and no one was there - do you have reason to expect someone will be there this Sat?

I'll be in Houston for the Villa game and dont know if I'll make it to the chatroom. Hopefully I'll find a computer that I can use for a few hours.

Lyle, if you read this, Pete and the boys are going charter fishing Saturday morning so I'm not inclined to ask a pub to open early for one Fulham fan. However, if you know of a place that will be open and have a crowd let me know.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, BarryP, Logicalman and I spent most of the second half listening to the match and comparing notes.

I'm hoping we won't crash again, but ... if we do ... that's where I'll be going again.

13. TheOldBugger

TheOldBugger New Member

I'll be catching up with you there then chaps,nice to know there's a back up chatroom(lol, how posh are we!)
    I still think we can have them,just a feeling but there you go,I mean we did the Spurs,Gunners,Bolton-all hard tems to play against and as some one said on another post we are good at bursting other teams bubblels, right then,were did a put that pin....................

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Back-up chat room? tell me more....

15. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Andy, Google Friends of Fulham, you can sign-up and there is a chatroom from the main page.

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

They're a bit posh over there -- spelling correctly and not calling each other rude names, you know -- but they're a good lot.

18. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Is this match on TV by any chance?

19. DCDave

DCDave Member

It is on Setanta Xtra, which Setanta DirecTV subscribers can get on a special extra Setanta channel (it used to be 670, I'm not sure what it is now). So, soccer bars around the country will also have access to the game.

20. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Thank you Dave.

My thoughts on this match are 'anything point or three from this will be a bonus'. We should be going for the win of course. I expect to see an unchanged side and if you are at a bar, listen for the fans...been in some real good from as of late.

Jimmy needs a goal, so lets hope he gets one.

COYW's