Fulham FC v. Norwich City

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Aug 16, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

FINALLY, we can talk about football that is actually being played. It's available LIVE at 0850 on FS+. I had promised DC Heather in the chatroom last night that I'd upload the View From South Texas within a half-hour of the final whistle, but then I remembered that I have volunteer commitments that will cause me to miss the end of the match "live." So, I'll be leaving the chatroom at halftime, and the View will be up sometime mid-or late-afternoon.

Who will play?
    Who will be in the game day squad?
    Who will score for us?
    ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?

2. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

I can't wait!

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, no matter the sport I never pay attention to preseason games, so not going to pretend to know the exact line-up. I haven't had this much trepidation at the beginning of a campaign since Sanchez (the following year after his late arrival the season before). Hopefully on Sept. 1 my feelings will be subsided, but that's a long two weeks from now. In the mean time the Mighty Whites have the home opener and travel to Old Trafford next week. So it's very important to get the 3 points and start the season right.

The lads took 4 points off the Canaries last season. At Carrow Road on New Year's Eve, Orlando Sa (no, that's not a typo :shock: ) scored early and Simeon Jackson for Norwich late in second half stoppage time for the 1-1 draw. In the return leg Demps and Duff tallied in route to a 2-1 victory.

Will have to keep an eye out for Grant Holt (15 goals last season) who squabbled before resigning an extension. I'm thinking that Norwich is going to have the sophomore blues after having a great season (12th place on 47 points) under Paul Lambert. Chris Hughton takes over after Lambert left for Aston Villa.

I'm going w/a 2-1 victory, with Hugo getting his Fulham career off to a great start and Duffers getting the other one.

COYW!!!!!!

4. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

2-0 victory to get started on the right foot. I won't even pretend to know the lineup.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Have no clue what the starting line-up will be other the regulars who are left from last season.
    Petric will score.
    And, YES, I am READY!!!!

6. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Better question is will anyone score for us? I'm still not sold on the Jol system, especially w/o Clint.

That said, I am optimistic about Petric and think he could bang in 10 or so this year. The question is how much anyone else steps up (aside from the more obvious, will we keep Dempsey).

We usually stink on ice in the opener regardless of the opponent, especially on offense. However, Norwich don't keep clean sheets and haven't done much to bolster their back line. Tempted to call 1-1, but I'll go with 2-1 for the good guys. We're due some good news.

7. MisterF

MisterF New Member

This thread is a BEAUTIFUL thing! So excited that a new season is finally here! I'll say 1-0 Fulham!

Planning to even wear my Fulham jersey to work tomorrow :dance:

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

BTW...SoCal, you going to do any of your match previews for the site this year? They were a pretty darn good, entertaining read. Plus, the team had a pretty good win record whenever you submitted one.

NO Pressure.

Unless they start losing. :lol:

9. SoCalJoe

:lol: Will be doing some previews fo sho. Was going to do one this week, but thought it'd be better to start up again once we know what the squad will look like. Of course I will conveniently forget to submit one when the team plays away to a tough team to pad my record :cool:

10. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

11. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Believe it or not- my sister picked her college in a similar way- there were two schools in dead heat so she put cat treats on both acceptance letters, spun our cat around and she (the cat, not my sister) ate the treat off one and then walked away. Luckily, she was happy with her choice.

Anyhow, I have paid almost no attention to the pre-season (been too busy with baseball, the Olympics and keeping one eye on the MLS and NASL, etc.) - still, assuming everyone's fit and the ridiculousness involving Dempsey continues- here's my guess just looking at the roster:
    Schwarzer; Riise, Hughes, Hangeland (C), Riether; Duff, Diarra, Dembele, Ruiz; Petric, Rodallega. Right back's probably the biggest question mark in the side- Jol could go with Riether given all his Bundesliga experience, or he could consider it Kelly's job to lose and I wouldn't count out Briggs or Baird, either. Unless there's any injuries in training or friendlies I didn't hear about- I'd be surprised if there's any changes in the other positions.

Hoping for a cracking 2-0 win to start the year; but realistically predicting an OK, but not fantastic 1-1 draw- goal by Holt answered by an equalizer on their debut by either Petric or Rodallega.

~ Steve

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

:lol: You always seem to come up with some of the most entertaining posts Steve. Thanks for sharing your sister's odd college ranking system.

Hoping for 3 points today. Can we set a new record in the chat for opening day?

13. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Just took my first sip of Guinness at the pub. It is good to have football back.

14. MisterF

MisterF New Member

So excited to get the season started. Come on Fulham!

Fulham:

Schwarzer; Riether, Hangeland, Hughes, Riise; Duff, Diarra, Dembele, Kacaniklic; Ruiz, Petric.

Subs: Stockdale, Kelly, Baird, Sidwell, Kasami, Rodallega, Halliche.

Norwich:

Ruddy; R Martin, Turner, R Bennett, Tierney; Surman, Howson, Johnson, Pilkington; Snodgrass, Holt.

Subs: Rudd, Morison, Vaughan, Hoolahan, E Bennett, Lappin, Barnett.

15. MisterF

MisterF New Member

16. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I am glad to see Kacaniklic getting to opportunity to start in the hole left by Dempsey.

17. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Anyone actually see him touch the ball yet? Either way super start

18. dneville80

dneville80 Member

I d get fox soccer plus but I know this Anne will be replayed on fox soccer and my dvr will record it. I wanna watch it for myself

19. SoCalJoe

Lots to talk about later, but one for each goal;

:banana-rock: :banana-skier: :banana-explosion: :banana-parachute: :banana-tux:

20. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

5-0!!! Everyone looked pretty good. Special nods to Ruiz, Petric, Diarra, Dembele, and Duff. Oh heck, the entire team.