Fulham Fans Rated Best

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Clevelandmo, May 7, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Note.. it's 'Fair Play' best fans.. not really best fans.

Controversdial award. For a footy team's players to be awarded 'Fair Play Best Team' causes managers to groan.

3. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln New Member

I think we've got a contender for 20th this next season. Stoke come with a fine reputation. :3d laughing:

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Can someone enlighten the unknowing about our new friends from Stoke?

5. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I'm curious about same? What type of towns are the Stoke and West Brom and what should we expect from them when we stay up?

Also, what does this award really mean, Fulham fans are the most behaved, polite, what??

Thanks for posting the results Mo.

6. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Not first-hand knowledge here. This is an opinion formed based on reviews from fans over in England...

Stoke are a club better known for its firm than its football (Stanley Matthews excepted). Just about every ground review I've seen notes the threatening nature of the locals. It isn't a place you want to be caught downtown wearing the colors of another club.

Fans who have went to the Brittania note that they've been held at the ground for at least a half-hour in a protected area while members of Stoke's "Naughty Forty" gathered their one collective brain cell together to try to figure out a way to get to them.

I have great respect for their club management. They've brought them back from the brink to where they are today. Pulis, Coates, and Rawlins have done fine work developing a plan to get Stoke into the league. I think they'll play a physical game of football just like Sheffield United.

7. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

Stoke-on-Trent: Think depressed town in the Rust Belt. The City Fathers are hoping this will create an opportunity to promote the community to a wider world of business and industry.

West Brom: Think diverse ethnic suburb in Chicago metro area. It is a suburb of Birmingham.

You will not find two more different clubs in their approach. Stoke are notorious for playing long ball and favor an aggressive, physical approach.
    West Bromwich Albion are determined to play with style. Mowbray models his approach after that of Arsenal. You could tell the class he's demanded from them just by watching the FA Cup semi-final against Pompey. They controlled possession for long periods of the match and were unfortunate to lose.

The only real fear I have about Stoke is seeing Fulham players injured. But West Bromwich will show up with some flash and flair to their approach. They just seem to me to be a cut above what you normally see from The Championship.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good assessment, Lincoln. I always associate Stoke City with Gordon Banks, arguably England's best ever goalkeeper. He actually played more top flight matches for Leicester City, but that was before I got to England in 1966.

In past years, West Brom has been like Sunderland -- too good for the CCC and not good enough for the EPL. If they were baseball players, they'd be labeled Quadruple-A players. I think Sunderland have finally broken the mold, and I'm hoping Albion will as well. They used to play some pretty football in the 60s and 70s with internationals like Jeff Astle and Tony Brown. I was a huge fan of Brown's who. like Liverpool's Roger Hunt, could demolish a defense all by himself.

I also am wary of Stoke's fans. I've seen what they've done at Luton, and their reputation is right "up there" with Millwall and Cardiff. West Brom is in the midlands and is jammed together with Birmingham City, Wolves, and Aston Villa. I'm also glad that WBA is up, and I hope they stay a while.

9. Hard_Drinkin'_Lincoln

I'm glad you mentioned Gordon Banks. Saw him on FSC and he was obviously thrilled to see Stoke up. But the moment was bittersweet because Leicester went down.

Albion did a lot to promote black footballers as well. I've seen video of Messrs. Batson, Cunningham, and Regis demolishing Manchester United at Old Trafford in the late 70s. Their fans gave those three players full support from the start in an era where racial tensions were high. In that respect, they have a similar role in football to the Brooklyn Dodgers in baseball.

I'm with you. I'm glad to see them back up as well, especially with Mowbray's approach to football.

10. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Stoke is one of the few grounds that I will not go to again. We were attacked by some fans for no other reason than we were Fulham fans, we had even lost the match so it seemed a bit hard.

I had the pleasure of watching, from the 9th floor of a hotel in Cardiff, a riot between Stoke and Cardiff fans after a play-off game a few years back.

However, I went to a cup game last season at CC against Stoke and they were well behaved. I think it help they played well and Montella scored a lovely goal in linkup with McBride. I would be glad to see them slip back down the divisions so they can renew their rivalry with Port Vale.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I went to Stoke v Watford, then first vs second, when I was there in March. There were a lot of them but I certainly didn't see anything untoward. Singing some threatening songs when I passed by their coaches on the way out of the ground after the game but thats nothing out of the ordinary.

13. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

The Stoke fans I've spoken to online seem pretty level-headed. That's about the extent of my experience with them, however.