Fulham @ Blackburn

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Jan 8, 2012.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

What an important match this is to both Clubs but it is desperation time for Blackburn...I was actually hoping Samba would be sold by the time the game kicks off.

None-the-less, Fulham could use the win to continue the form and move up the table. Blackburn are desperate and desperate teams can be dangerous...thats why we need to score early and none of this game of two halves! Up for it for 90 minutes is what we need.

Line-up kind of picks itself if Zamora is in the starting 11. :banana-linedance:

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yes, Fulham are playing a desperate team away from home. And when was the last time Fulham won 3 games in a row? April of 2010. So I don't have a lot of hope for a victory. This one will end 1-1 me thinks.

Unfortunately this one is not being shown on the tele. I don't see any replays listed yet. However, it's a good excuse to fire-up GJ and the chat room. We had excellent turnouts and results for the last 2 games. May the streak continue.

3. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

According to my TV guide, it will be on tape delay on Fox Soccer Plus on Saturday at 4:30 PM Eastern/1:30 PM Pacific.

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Agreed. Just look at Bolton at Everton. Came back from the freak Tim Howard goal to get all three points.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The home fans will have their knives ready if our boys can give them reason to turn on Kean. I watched their miracle at ManUre and they certainly gave effort. Agree w/Heather and sense a 1-1 result.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Big chance for the Whites to take all 3 - even if on the road.

COYW

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Predicting a 2-0 victory for the good guys. COYWs

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think we'll find out on Saturday whether Jol is confident enough in what seems his mini-squad of 12 or 13 players to let the leash slip on the road. We certainly have the creativity to dominate Rovers and to get three points there. If we're tentative and timid as we were at Norwich, we'll be lucky to get a point.

Rovers key player is Samba. He is a monster in the air and, for some reason, whether the manager's name is Coleman, Sanchez, Hodgson, or Hughes, we've gone up there and punted high balls into the middle that he's cleared away like last night's dishes. We have to resist the temptation to play to what is, really, THE ONLY DEFENSIVE STRENGTH THE ROVERS POSSESS. They have a Potempkin Keeper, a creative winger at LB and disaster of the month at RB.

The only area in which they should trouble our now excellent defense is on dead ball situations. Samba is a great deliverer of the 2nd ball. Invariably he nods on to someone in position to score. You have to pressure him in these situations, and I like Etuhu in the lineup for this reason.

The X-factor is the fans. They're ready to jump down Kean's throats at a moment's notice. If we get an early goal against them, it might be game over. These guys have the look of a team that's expecting things to go wrong. If we give them what they're looking for, we could jump on them early and hard. The longer we DON'T take advantage, the stronger they get.

The BEST way to lose to these guys is to play for 0-0. Let's go gettem, Jol!

I'll be in the chatroom for Gentleman Jim and whoever drops in to visit The Senator and me. The View from South Texas will appear VERY late.

COYW :banana-linedance:

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

See you in the chat room Hatter. And thanks Lax for the tv heads-up. Unfortunately I don't have Fox Soccer Plus available from my cable provider. :angry-banghead:

I'm feeling a little more confident that Fulham can get a victory on the road. Might change my prediction to 2-1, good guys.

10. nevzter

I'd love to be in the chat - but, my two wee ones don't allow a moment's notice on the keyboard on the weekends - hence, my absence from the chat, despite listening to numerous past GJ broadcasts.

COYW

11. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Not sure if I'll make the chat room this week, the little one has her tumbling class and it's supposed to be my turn to take her. Have to see if I can beg and plead to swap weeks :)

12. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Definitely a winnable game, especially if the Fulham from the Arsenal match shows up. However, with it being an away match I'm just hoping for a draw. Gotta keep collecting points.

13. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Don, you are both clairvoyant and succinct...what it comes down to, for me, is who gets a breakthrough on set plays ..whether we get one or not, I don't know. Even with my "cough, cough" wealth of sports knowledge, I've never done that well in Vegas. COYW

14. MisterF

MisterF New Member

15. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

If we are to move from a lower mid table team to an upper mid table team, and justify expansion plans, we gotta start turning the corner on away matches...and that means WINNING them when they're winnable, as this one clearly is. At this juncture, a draw in a match like this is a setback, regardless of the circumstances of the contest. I believe we're as ready as we'll ever be to do just that. No predictions....except a win for Fulham! COYW!

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Chat room is going.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Well we set the new FulhamUSA site record for members in the chat, but that was about the only good thing about this match day.

I don't think there is any explanation that will satisfy the fans who watched this match. Dreadful to let a 10 man Blackburn team, with their striker sent off, go on to score 3 goals. Horrible. :angry-banghead:

18. tim

tim Active Member

My goodness. Where to begin?

We sat back back from the red card through to the end of the half (apparently trusting that the chances would create themselves). No killer instinct, no desire to exploit the man advantage. Lazy and clumsy going into the dressing room and again coming back out.

This nebulous 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3, or however you want to describe it, simply did not work. We've got talented players (Dempsey, Ruiz, Dembele) who can play off the striker, but none of them seemed to know what their role was. They were getting in each other's way. I think the announcer called Ruiz's name all of one time the entire second half. There was simply no offensive organization. No teamwork. No understanding.

Stockdale had a bad game. Frei looked horrendous. Duff and Zamora played ok, but other than that, just awful. I don't know which is more pitiful...getting blown out by United, or rolling over for friggin 10-man Blackburn.

19. nevzter

10 man Blackburn is simply embarrassing. Jeckyl and Hyde this year. $&@!?@$&!

COYW

Seriously though, come on...

20. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Just watched the abbreviated highlights on foxsports.com. Red card was deserved, don't know what their fans were howling about. Our defense sucked. That's putting it mildly. Duff's well angled strike was about the only highlight for us. First subpar outing for Stockdale. He appeared to lean the wrong way on the free kick, got screened by his own wall, then couldn't recover. To be fair, it was a well struck, well placed ball. The first one wasn't quite as soft as it seemed, the last was a pure defensive breakdown that left him helpless. Jeckyl and Hyde indeed, nev. Solutions? Anybody?