Fulham away to Reading

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by astroevan, Dec 28, 2016.

1. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

It's a short week as we travel to the Madejski on Friday. Reading are third in the table and have been in good form - winning 8 of their last 10 matches. It'll be a tough match since Reading will be looking to get revenge for the 5-0 loss at the Cottage earlier this month. It should be interesting to see who really controls the match as these are the top two teams in terms of possession and pass accuracy.

I suppose that I'm starting to believe in this team's chances for a top 6 finish, so I'm hopeful that we extend our unbeaten streak to 6.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

to these type of away days at reading: (damn i loved nevland's goals)

COYW

SoCalJoe likes this.
  3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If you're going to be a one-dimensional forward, let that dimension be "finisher." Best pure finisher I've seen in a Fulham shirt since my first year with the club 2004? 2005?

And isn't it lovely to see Simon Davies again?

nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Loved the Viking and Davies was pure class. The left-footed volley from Big Mac off the crossbar was as good as a non-score play as you'll ever see.

Tough to blowout a good team and then turn around and play them again. Would expect Reading to come out flying, so Button will need to come up with some saves. A point would be a good result.

nevzter likes this.
  5. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

A point would be good result. They will be flying after that thrashing at the Cottage, so I, too, will gladly take a draw. But I'm not optimistic, especially with Kalas out. A clean sheet at Ipswich is not really relevant to this contest. I expect them to score, the question is, how much. And can we match it. I'm bracing for a loss, but hoping for the point.

nevzter likes this.
  6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

7. astroevan

Yep. No Martin. Piazon up top.

8. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

Do mine eyes deceive me or is that an LVC sighting on the bench???

9. astroevan

Actually the match center on the offal has Ayite up top with Piazon on the right.

Let's hope Ayite buries any sitters that he's given.

10. astroevan

Match abandoned due to weather (fog). The match in Brighton was also called off for the same reason.

11. SoCalJoe

So what is the rule on this? Do they pick it up 0-0 and play another 45 minutes?

This Martin situation could really be sticky since Derby is a playoff competitior.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

brand new do over.

I quoted Slava on this on the FUSA Facebook page. Here 'tis

Joka on Martin: “He made himself unavailable for today’s game.

“He stopped in training, but I have information from medical staff that he is available to play. He decided to take a day off.

“We need to check this situation but I don’t have any intention of making our rivals any stronger. I am not going to send him back to Derby, he is going to stay with us, and he is going to respect the contract.

“We are not a train station, you can’t come in and out when you want. We need to respect ourselves, and I don’t know if he’s going to play for Fulham, but he’s not going to play for Derby.”

nevzter, astroevan and SoCalJoe like this.
  13. astroevan

I didn't see that full quote. I like Joka's intention here. I don't know what/how they can deal with Martin, but I'd like to think that they can either dock his pay or fine him to the point that he's not getting paid.

14. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I don't understand why he would want to go back. I realize their position in the table, but clearly they thought it was a better situation and chance for them without him. Are they asking for him back or is this all Martin?

15. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Just a reminder that this match is happening tomorrow. Since it was suspended, Reading has had one win and two losses (vs QPR and Derby) so they are no longer on the hot streak they had going before. Still a playoff caliber team at home, so it likely won't be easy for us. A win puts us just 2 points outside of the playoff spots.

encorespanish, SoCalJoe and HatterDon like this.
  16. SoCalJoe

A '6 pointer' (so much better when it's for playoff contention, not relegation). I know we took a large group of supporters last time, just hoping that most of them can return even on a work night.

17. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

And now for something completely different! I'm not even sure where to put the line breaks on this lineup, are we playing a 5-4-1?

Starting XI:
    Button
    Fredericks, Kalas, Madl, Ream, Malone
    Cairney, McDonald, Johansen, Aluko
    Martin

Subs: Bettinelli, Odoi, Sigurdsson, Sessegnon, Parker, Smith, Piazon

EDIT: The FFC website shows it as a 3-5-2 with Kalas, Madl, and Ream at the back and Martin and Aluko up front

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  18. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

With the names listed I would have guessed a 4-5-1 with a diamond midfield and Fredricks and Aluko on the wings.

19. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

20. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Official highlights from Reading:

Based on the highlights, a loss was probably deserved. I thought the penalty on Ream was bogus, but Reading made a lot more chances while we seemed unable to get any shots on target (2 out of 14). Still, Martin :mad: