Fulham away to Cardiff: Classic 6 Pointer

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Both Fulham and Cardiff have to win this match. Everyone else in the bottom half will be rooting for a draw which at this point is practically useless for either side. If I'm honest I think both clubs will eventually be relegated, but if a team grabs a vital 3 points a glimmer of hope would at least appear.

2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Do or die!
    Sink or swim!
    Now or never!

Sunderland, WBA, and Palace all have a game in hand as well. If we don't win this one...

3. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

To use an American sports playoff analogy...this is our game 7. It's win or accept the fact that we will be relegated. Now, we will probably have a few more of these game 7's as we progress through the last 10 matches, but as of right now...this is it. There is no room for error, lack of fitness, poor challenges, our usual set piece defense (who else holds their breath on every corner?) etc. I believe we can pull out the 3 points unless the gaffer gives us another head scratcher of a lineup. So...2-1 good guys! COYW!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I've been this sick before and Fulham cured me. I still believe the Whites will escape again this year.

As a diehard former baseball player and SF Giants supporter, I reveled in their recent World Series victories...but, when Murphy headed in at Portsmouth, I fell out of my chair in joy. The WS wins couldn't generate that type of emotion in me. Should Fulham escape this year as well, I may do something more rash and joyous than falling out of my chair. The bay area should be put on notice in case.

COYW - it can happen...still.

5. SoCalJoe

:bow-yellow: Nev, just to prove that we left coasters stick together, if Fulham survives and you jump into San Francisco Bay. I promise to drive the 6 hours and...film it!! That or I'll wade into the dangerous and "frigid" waters off of Huntington Beach :character-jaws:

6. tim

tim Active Member

West coast solidarity. I'll jump into whatever body of water is necessary if it means the club stays up.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Does that mean I have to jump in the Chesapeake if Fulham stay up? I'll do it too, if that's what it takes.

But I'm pretty certain we're all safe from doing that. Reports are no Metroglue and Holtby most likely will not start again because he's not a 'fighter.' Yup, we are most likely looking at line-up of the same players that have played their way into 20th place. Can they play their way out? I really want to believe, but it ain't looking likely. :(

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I believe we've been relegated since we lost at home to Sunderland, but I'll be there on Saturday biting my nails and hoping for something. Cardiff are worse than us, but everyone gets well on us.

Case in point: Sheffield United. When we played them at their patch in the FA Cup they were well adrift in League 1. They have now won 7 or 8 consecutive matches -- including their 119th minute victory at the Cottage. They're now 10th.

We're like a wonder drug!

9. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

This match is for 19th place, nothing more. Magath was right to stop short of calling it must win. If one team loses or draws, they can still get 19th, but the winner will be in the driver's seat for that honor. A victory for either side is not indicative of an ability to beat any other team in the league b/c no other teams combine the inability to score with an inability to defend like Fulham and Cardiff.

Worst form in 2014
    Norwich 9 pts, 5 gf, 11 ga
    Swansea 8 pts, 13 gf, 16 ga
    WBrom 8 pts, 12 gf, 15 ga
    Fulham 5 pts, 7 gf, 22 ga
    Cardiff 4 pts, 4 gf, 19 ga

10. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Any hope for a chance at a miracle starts or ends here. It's that simple. Anything less than 3 points here means we'll be travelling to South Bermondsey next season. Bats and hats for everybody!

11. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Magath, master of mind games:

Stekelenburg; Riether, Heitinga, Hangeland, Riise; Dejagah, Sidwell, Holtby, Richardson; Mitroglou, Woodrow.

12. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Wow. Should be interesting, if nothing else.

13. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

So what are the best sites out there for Championship streams?

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Unfortunately there are not many streams available since the matches are rarely shown on TV.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

this season, biIN sport has League cup and Championship matches. The contract may change next season. They generally show 1 or 2 league matches a weekend. Watch for early/late kickoffs and Friday/Monday "night" games. If it's 3 o'clock [UK] on Saturday/Sunday, you won't see it.

17. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    I laughed and didn't really believe it when Don (or maybe it was Matt, I apologize if I'm making the wrong attribution here) said at the end of last season that we'd be relegation candidates this year.

As for this game- I liked Sidwell's heart out there, I hope we can find some way to make Holtby's loan permanent and Mitroglou didn't look good overall, but he had a few moments where he looked like a competent or even above-average player, which is more than you can say for his debut.

Logically, I know we're dead in the water- but I've seen some pretty incredible things in sports both with this club and others. We've had the Great Escape, the Europa League run- and in other sports, I've seen my White Sox blow a 2 1/2 game lead with 7 games left by losing 5 straight (including three to the team in second place)- and then winning three in a row to reach the playoffs- and win a World Series- which is something that any White Sox fan who lived and died between November 1917 and September 2005 didn't get to see. I mean we're pretty much done, but "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" I'm still with the lads no matter what... COYW.

~ Steve

18. SoCalJoe

I know the right attitude is to try and enjoy what looks like will be an end to our Premiership run, but if that's the display we'll see in the final 9 games it will be an impossible task. The ineptitude shown on the second Cardiff goal when they scored on the 3rd corner given was enough for me to throw my hands up and say 'No Mas'.

19. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Ha! I finally can relax my suspicion that SCJ is Roberto Duran.

While I'm still positive the only thing that i can say about today is to Cue the opening scene from Apocalypse Now

20. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

We were both saying it. Don and I have been having this conversation, seeing problems on the horizon and re-evaluating where the bottom might be, for years now. It basically started with the Hughes "ambition" departure. A lot of people jumped on that and went with the Mr Ambition smack. Don and I both felt there was evidence there to back him up. Our spending since his departure has been underwhelming to say the least. Now, we look like we're in a battle with 11/12 Wolves for worst team in the Prem since Derby County.

As for the match. Don was right about Stekeleniemi. Guess we know why Rome was so willing to get shot of him. And at what seemed a cut rate price for an international keeper. The effort was crap...again. The defending was beyond dire...again. The gameplan was a mystery. Our players seem to have the attention span of a squirrel on cocaine. Magath made a hash out of the squad selection, formation and subs. The player's once again showed no heart. And we were exposed as not having the quality that so many people think we have "on paper". Bloody Cardiff just did the double on us. We're terrible, we're going down...and we deserve it. And it's probably for the best b/c this club needs a major housecleaning on many levels and I don't trust they'd have the guts to do it if they aren't forced to financially.

Not sure if I'll bother watching any more this season.

And fwiw, I'm certain Joe isn't Roberto Duran b/c he has a sense of humor.