FSC PLUS deals/ listings

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Feb 27, 2010.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There has been some concern that Fox hadn't been securing any deals to have any of the satellite or cable outlets handle FSC+, but now they have.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/s ... index.html?

Time Warner are only broadcasting to "select regions" but with DirecTV, we'll at least have coverage in pubs.

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

RE: FSC PLUS deals

Thanks for the info, HD.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Re: FSC PLUS deals

Then worst case scenario, we're in the same boat we've been in.

TWC in SA knocked out 5 analog ch's which frees up 20-25 digital channels. 21 of those were added back around Feb 5. I'm hoping some of those extra slots are being held for FSC HD and/or FS+. Probably just wishful thinking though.*

*Did a little more research and FSC HD will be available on Ch 159 on or around 3/15 with TWC here in San Antonio. No word on FS+ yet.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, Matt; keep us informed.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

I might be willing to pay $14.99, but $14.999 is where I draw the line.

6. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Damn cable companies trying to nickel and one thousandth cent us

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Hahaha- well this stinks- I got in early with setanta so I was paying 9.99 a month.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: FSC PLUS deals

See Below for the * concerning 'slots'
    As to 15 /mo for FSC+, I'd rather PPV, thank you very much.

During 2008 HDTV carried MLS, remember? I subscribed to the 4 channel pack for 6.99 to get 4 or 5 Crew games. I would have paid $5 ea to omit the hassle of canceling it after season.
    That's interesting. TW Ohio has reorganized the {digital} lineups so that all Ohio regions will use the same channel numbers for national channels and same groupings for locals.
    All HD now starts at '1000'
    1007 = local ch 7 HD
    1301 = ESPN HD, 301 = ESPN SD, 'analog' ESPN still at ch 26.
    That means I dont have to guess or look for the channel for FSC HD when/if. It will be 1318 to relate to current FSC 318

TW analog channels now only contiguous through 72. Everything from there up that autoprograms is digital.
    AND JUST IN CASE you dont realize it, digital channel numbers no longer relate to a frequency/bandwidth slot in most cable systems. TW for sure now use 'Switched digital video', SDV, which supposedly 'conserves bandwidth'. Works like PPV movies. Doesnt make much sense to me, because the more demand for it, the more congestion.
    You know you have it if you are offered 'start at beginning' when you selct a show that's already started
    * If you guys havent had a major ch 100 up lineup change in the last few years, look for it.

9. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

The way I understand it and I believe the way it works with the cable stations is they negotiate with the cable companies over the cost of the station etc. I am just throwing number out there but a station like Spike TV might be charging .34 cents per subscriber, but ESPN might be charging .92 cents, and HBO maybe be charging $13.99 for a package of 5 channels. It has to do with a number of factors such as how much they are bringing in in advertising and how much popular they are. A station like ESPN, though bringing in a good advertising dollar knows that people would scream if they were not carried so they can charge more. HBO, not bringing in any revenue via ads needs to charge more, probably being the reason that isn't a premium channel. Spike probably brings in a OK ad revenue but charges less so it is able to get on more TV's making it worth their advertisers money. For example I get my cable from my town owned electric company. Any profit made must be used to keep costs down or go back into making the service better. So they are very transparent in they way they go about things. For example in last months newsletter they said that Scripps Networks (Food Network and HGTV) are upping there rates 50% in 2010.

I don't know a lot about how Setanta USA ran things but from what I have gathered there was not a lot of outside advertising like FSC has. So unless that changes I would think they would have to charge a premium price juts to make money. IF by chance (hopefully) they do change it up and get more advertising they should be able to renegotiate with the cable companies in the future.

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

There are/were commercials on Setanta, but they're of the same "quality" as FSC commercials.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

FS.tv having some growing pains

Did anyone see this?

12. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: FS.tv having some growing pains

Steve .. I took the liberty of changing the post head... as it applies to the 'broadband', not the cable channel.

Though goodness know FS + is having a few glitches of its own.
    - mebbe I shouldnt have bothered, though cause...

In the first place which is it... fox sports plus or fox soccer plus?

I THOUGHT that fox sports + was a 'super-regional' then thought it would be like setanta plus {global}... now I dont know.

And part of the problem is that it's difficult as hell to make sense of and navigate the FoxSports website. Exception being that foxsoccer.tv is easy to find on either home page.
    UPDATE:
    Duh... fox sports + is for viewers 'south of the border'.
    Maybe I didnt see that before because I wasnt looking for it because they'd never carried a Fulham match?
    - -- - - - -
    Whatever .. every time I go to a link for the first time in a while I look for other interesting stuff. I think I saw this before but in case you haven't a somewhat amusing look at 'FoxSoccer Central'.
    It's amusing because the sets and facilities are about equiv to a second tier TV station in a small city.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: FS.tv having some growing pains

I don't have any problems navigating the FSC site. Just click here

http://msn.foxsports.com/fsw

Then you'll see a tab at the top marked "TV SCHEDULE." Click there and you get a daily schedule for FSC. You can easily change that to weekly and there's a drop down box to go from the default setting of FSC for FSC plus.

It's Wednesday noon, and they already have the full EPL broadcast schedule for the weekend up -- something you won't get from your cable provider.

Downside: We've had FSCHD and FSC PLUS HD for a while now, in addition to the old FSC. This is great except that the schedule for FSC PLUS HD is the same as for FSC HD -- despite the fact that they show different programs. This means that (a) you have to check the non-HD FSC schedule to see what's REALLY on FSC HD -- AND -- it requires some manual crap to DVR a match on FSC HD.

I've talked to my good friend here @ Time Warner Cable, and he said that TWC posts what Fox sends down the line, and they're sending that erroneous information themselves. I emailed FSC and -- surprise, surprise -- got no response.

But regardless of the stupidity in marketing re Fox and soccer, it's several million miles away from ESPN2. The majority of their scheduled matches are the "lunchtime" Saturday match. Despite the fact that it is THE ONLY LIVE MATCH SCHEDULED IN ENGLAND AT THAT TIME, checking the electronic TV guide on the cable even EIGHT HOURS BEFORE THE MATCH, will reflect "Barclay's Premier League, Teams TBA." I wonder how many more viewers last weekend's match would have drawn if instead of "Teams TBA" it read "Manchester United v. Chelsea."

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Don, I thought they'd straightened that out. Last time I checked the schedule was correct on FSCHD. Pretty sure that was Sunday.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's still screwed today. Both FSC HD and FSC PLUS had the Bordeaux match listed, but FSC HD had the Man U match.