1. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Just read that Genoa are trying to take Adu on loan for the year, but Benfica want to keep him. Interesting.

2. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Whatever his location hopefully he will be able to increase his playing time.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

bc, do you have a link? And forgive my ignorance, is Genoa in SerieB?

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Mid-table Serie A this past season.

You know these sorts of things can be looked up, don't you? :lol:

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

6. nevzter

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks, Nev. I have the SI soccer doo-dad on my iGoogle home page, but it hasn't updated its headlines since the Spain match!

Interesting concept -- a player going from the Portuguese league to SerieA on loan to get more playing time!

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Hmmmmm, I wonder if that kind of move could force Bradley's hand on starting Adu before the 2010 Cup?

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well maybe Benefica should give him a f'in start then! People say our players should go outside England but it seems to me there and Germany is where they get a fair shake. He's still yet to get a single start if I'm remembering correctly.

10. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm hoping Adu's good performance in matches he's played for the USMNT should be enough to accomplish that.

11. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

That and being the MVP on the Gold Medal winning Olympic team... :D

12. nevzter

Totally agree with your post re starting and bias; but, also there's been a dearth of U.S. players in the top leagues (excl. Netherlandesque leagues) outside of Ger. and Eng.
    He's been caught in the coaching shuffle at Benfica, but he also remains very young and raw. God bless him if he gets loaned to a mid-table Serie A team to get playing time...we all agree there's much worse out there. But, ideally he'd receive playing time at Benfica since they're in the UEFA Cup and a relatively "big" club.

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I've been reading for a while that Freddy wants to go to eredivisie, but still no action. I feel for him and hope a dutch team bites soon. I seriously dont understand what's going on. I know he is not going to live up to his early hype, but comparing him to other American players who have done fairly well, I know he has the talent and potential.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/s ... index.html

14. EricD

EricD New Member

I hope he figures something out soon. He needs to be on the field. One way or another, he has to either add some facets to his game or show that he has those facets - defensive ability and strength to hold onto the ball.

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Adu to LAG?

How great to revive the Freddy Adu saga!

You read their topics on the Gals BS board..
    LA TIMES speculates: Ronaldinho or Raul coming in?

But then...
    http://worldsoccerreader.com/2010/08/los-angeles-galaxy-close-to-signing-freddy-adu/
    apparently Benfica really is having a tough time finding someone to take Adu on loan.
    - The rumor is STILL only sourced on that site, BUT it's the one which broke Ljundberg to Fire.

Who better than Bruce Arena to take on the problem prodigy!

The Gals fan reactions is what you might expect. From appalled to .. 'okay as not as it's not on DP.'

Note LAG clears books of Mathis and Gordon.

It's pretty clear to me that it's not gonna be so much a matter of talent than it is ATTITUDE.
    - Remember he actually left MLS from RSL... where he rapidly progressed from starter to being left off the traveling roster.
    San Jose actually holds his MLS rights at the moment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here's how I arrive at Adu's value ... can you imagine putting him on the pitch with Schellotto? And in the same locker room with Hejduk and Lenhart?
    I havent seen a recent long interview with Freddy, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around that.
    - excuse me if that's Crew-centric, but I think you get the point if you follow them at all. I could maybe make the same point with Roy's lockerroom of last season

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: Adu to LAG?

Yep, I like that. Give the "kid" to the mighty Bruce. If he cant do it than no one can - other than freddy himself.