Freddy Plumain--Possible transfer embargo

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Jul 26, 2013.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... e-transfer

So we've added another player to join the Fulham youth academy...supposedly.

Apparently he's still under contract at Lens, but was acting like he was a free agent. What that means for Fulham is up in the air. Right now, people are thinking that Fulham could face a possible trade embargo, but I haven't found any major press reports on the situation--yet.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

3. JackCaz

JackCaz New Member

Two questions...

How serious is this? They elude to its impact, but no real details on severity. And...

How does this happen?!? How do you not know a player is under contract? Are we just trusting the player's and agent's word? Just seems odd.

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, if there's an embargo, we're well and truly fucked. Chelsea had enough depth and loanees they could call back to survive. We don't. If the embargo happens in time for January sales and extends through the following January, we're relegated for certain.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

This will take a few months to pan out, but it is not a favorable situation to be in. Better sign a few folks/schleps this summer in anticipation of an adverse decision - unless there's nothing to it.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I very much hope there is nothing to it. However, Lens and FIFA didn't take to kindly to Chelsea signing a 16 year old kid the last time. Considering this is the same club, and the they are in the midst of taking action against the various parties involved (Fulham and the kid) according to their website, I don't think they're going to play nice. I'm sure they'll seek some significant compensation of some sorts, $$$, and not be bothered in the least to what happens to Fulham.

However, the Court of Arbitration for Sport, overturned the ruling of the 2 year transfer embargo slapped on Chelsea. They stated that Kakuta’s Lens contract was not valid and so could not be breached. While I don't like Chelsea in the least, I think that was a fair decision. Kakuta and his dad signed a contract at 14, stating that he would sign for Lens when he turned pro. Really? A 14 kid signing a pro contract of any sorts is mind boggling. And to seek punishment against the kid who changed his mind at 16 to play somewhere else is just kinda petty in my mind. Yeah, I know is a extremely competitive market to sign the best players, but come on. Really?

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator